Elmore and Higgins at Toronto Book Fair
Posted: 23 November 2006 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I had the pleasure of meeting Loretta Higgins, the widow of George V. Higgins at the exhibit of her husband’s papers at The University of South Carolina.  She reminded me that in 1982 or 1983, Elmore and George were guests of the Toronto Book Festival and did a lot of media together while the wives shopped and hung out. 

I want to locate footage of some of the interviews of the two.  The first and only time they met.

Any likely starting points, John?

Posted: 23 November 2006 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

The best place to start would be the CBC - radio and TV. It’s a big place which has changed staff a lot, but I know a couple people there and I could ask them - at least get a name of someone to talk to - if you’d like.

The International Festival of Authors - as it calls itself now - has also changed management. Greg Gatenby - who was a big Elmore Leonard fan - left and was replaced by a guy named Geoffrey Taylor - a good guy. I can also ask him, if you’d like.

Posted: 27 November 2006 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

If you can get me a contact or close to a contact, I’ll take it from there.  I can go in cold, but any leads are always appreciated.  E-mail me privately at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 02 April 2009 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Gregg,

Did anything ever come of this? or was it a dead end?