Cormac McCarthy
Posted: 17 January 2009 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-09-15

I’m quite keen to start reading Cormac McCarthy. Can anyone recommend a good one to start with?
I have All The Pretty Horses and The Road, so preferably one of those.

Posted: 17 January 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-11-16

I’ve read The Road and No Country and enjoyed them both. The Road is very bleak. He is an absolute master storyteller, no doubt about that. And in those two books he generally keeps the writing pretty terse, which is good. But he does sometimes like to throw in fancy, writerly sentence construction which I find distracting. And there’s a blurb for The Road, something like his “vocabulary of Biblical proportions that he unleashes.” That’s distracting too, but I was able to keep up.

Also, it takes a bit of getting used to not having quotation marks for dialogue. And he only uses apostrophes for contractions when absolutely necessary. Words like cant and wouldnt are written just like that.

Posted: 09 February 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-02-04

Cormac Mccarthy is an amazing writer.

Start with “All the Pretty Horses” - it’ll break your heart and touch your soul. John Grady Cole has to be one of the coolest literary heroes ever to ride through the pages of fiction. The dude rocks, and there are a few other intruiging characters as well. One of the best books I’ve ever read, it’s almost impossible to put down until the last page has burned it’s way into your brain. The next two books in the trilogy are also fine, but not as giving.
Then there’s “No Country for old Men” - what a book - what a film.
“The Road” - one of the most beautiful and scary books I’ve ever read.
I’ve only read these five books, but what a ride they were.

Posted: 24 July 2009 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-09-15

I read All The Pretty Horses. Very good.