Self Awareness in Elmore’s Books
Posted: 16 January 2009 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-11-16

He sure does mention it pretty consistently.

Posted: 20 January 2009 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Care to elaborate this topic?

Posted: 20 January 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

I’m not sure if this is what Bill means, but often in the books there are lines like, “Now he was aware of…” things like that.

Posted: 21 January 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-11-16

From Bandits:

(Lucy said), “I began to realize I don’t know much at all about men. I’ve never imagined being one.”

“I’ve never imagined being a girl,” Jack said. He paused a moment and said, “No, I don’t think it’s possible.”

“You don’t seem aware of yourself.”

“Well, I catch myself posing every once in a while.”

“You’re aware of it when you’re not being yourself.”

“I’m not sure what we’re talking about.”

I guess I should’ve specified it as self-awareness. LaBrava has at least one very similar conversation about posing for a photo vs. being self-unaware (or not being aware of yourself, if it’s not the same thing). The dictionary definition self-aware (essentially, having a balanced and honest view of your own personality) doesn’t really match what Lucy and Jack are talking about. And apparently Jack’s not too sure himself. I asked my cousin what he thought of the term self awareness and his response was similar to the dictionary.

It also seems like I recall characters talking about sort of the opposite of self-awareness. In the sense of being aware of your surroundings. Maybe that’s keeping with the ongoing theme John’s pointed out; looking for opportunities to better their situation.