Tour of Elmore Leonard’s Detroit
Posted: 17 December 2008 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04
pbenjamin - 17 December 2008 11:29 PM
Jade - 15 December 2008 02:42 AM

Many of these places are now on the map (see the Locations thread). However, the exact location of Alvin Guy’s death, has gone to the ‘pending’ list: a list of locations, that, from references in the book, has proved hard to locate. Once the map is reasonably complete, they will be investigated further.

I put in the Alvin Guy location.  He was heading south on John R from 8 Mile, the police got a call from a woman a block over at 20413 Coventry, which turns out to be a real address.  If you want to share the “pending list” I can help.  I have found and fixed a few errors that I have come across.  I probably know Detroit better than a lot of the folks here.  The only American LaFrance dealer in Michigan these days is in Holland, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there used to be one on John R.

Cool. Appreciate any help. Yeah, the American LaFrance dealer, caused me some headache!
I’ll e-mail you the list of ‘pending’ locations so far.

Posted: 18 December 2008 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
Jade - 17 December 2008 11:59 PM

Cool. Appreciate any help. Yeah, the American LaFrance dealer, caused me some headache!
I’ll e-mail you the list of ‘pending’ locations so far.

That’s some excellent work on the map.

Posted: 19 December 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

JohnMcFetridge - 18 December 2008 11:15 PM

That’s some excellent work on the map.

It’s coming along, isn’t it.

There are lots of location references in Elmore’s books. Prior to working on this, some of them probably didn’t stand out to me. But, after researching many places; where’s that street?, is that bar real?, how did xxx character get to here from there?, Detroit feels more ‘real’, to me now.
Now, when I reread a book that’s on the map, it has a different feel. The places, more familiar. That’s a great thing for me: a guy that’s never been to Detroit. Puts me deeper into the respective scene.

‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5