The Rosary Murders (1987)
Posted: 31 July 2008 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

The Rosary Murders

from Wikipedia

The Rosary Murders is a 1987 neo-noir film starring Donald Sutherland as Father Koesler, based upon the novel by William X. Kienzle. The story involves a series of murders in which the victims are all either priests or nuns, each of whom is found with a black rosary. Fr. Koesler goes in search of the murderer but is caught in a quandary when the murderer confesses the crimes to him. Fr. Koesler is unable to break the seal of confession by going to the police.

Trivia:  Rock musician and member of the White Stripes Jack White, all of 12 years old, has an uncredited role in the film as an altar server.

Has anyone seen this?  I saw part of it years and years ago on late night TV.  I didn’t make it and feel asleep.  This is the only released movie written by Elmore Leonard that was based on someone else’s material.  I linked Gregg’s page about the movie above.  I wonder how much of the Elmore Leonard sound came through the director’s rewritten script.  The novel was written by a fellow Detroit resident and former priest, William X. Kienzle.  The jacket copy calls it a Detroit project.  I don’t think it is available on DVD and I can’t find any clips online. 

Any thoughts?

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Elmore was kinda coerced into adapting Rosary Murders by a local producer named Bobby Laurel.  It really wasn’t Elmore’s kind of story and I don’t think his heart was in it.

Bobby Laurel was pure Detroit. A musician, he attended the University of Detroit and made his living for years playing piano at the old London Chop House. He wrote the theme song for the late J.P. McCarthy’s radio show.
He caught a break in 1987, when he produced The Rosary Murders , a feature film based on the novel by ex-Detroit priest William X. Kienzle. The screenplay was co-authored by Elmore Leonard, and much of the filming took place at Bobby’s alma mater, Holy Redeemer High School.

Janet Maslin in the New York Times nailed it.

A LARGE segment of Detroit’s Roman Catholic clergy has been attacked and murdered by a crazed killer, yet there’s only one sneaker-wearing priest on the trail. That is the premise of ‘‘The Rosary Murders,’’ a well-meaning but plodding thriller with a screenplay co-written by Elmore Leonard, who’s ordinarily so much faster on his feet. The story, based on a novel by William X. Kienzle, gives the impression of having been a lot more clever on the page. In fact the denouement, when at long last it arrives, reveals the killer to have staged quite an elaborate scheme, and its complexity comes as a surprise. Neither he nor anyone else in the film seems capable of that much ingenuity.

In ‘‘The Rosary Murders,’’ which opens today at Loews New York Twin and other theaters, Donald Sutherland plays the affable and iconoclastic Father Koesler, a priest with some decidedly modern ideas about his calling. He adopts an informal manner, reveals unmistakable disappointment when a favorite nun announces her intention to leave the order and marry, and is willing to baptize an illegitimate child after a fellow priest, Father Nabors (Charles Durning), refuses to do so. And when the string of murders begins, it is to Father Koesler that the killer turns. In a plot twist reminiscent of Hitchcock’s ‘‘I Confess,’’ the killer appears in church early in the film to taunt Father Koesler with the news of his exploits.

Though the police (led by Josef Sommer) are nominally involved in finding the killer, Father Koesler seems to be investigating alone. His only real assistant is Belinda Bauer, as the kind of glamorous newspaper reporter who paces when she talks, tosses her hair a lot and never takes notes.

The film’s only suspenseful episode finds Father Koesler alone in a house with the killer, though it would be physically impossible to direct such a sequence without a nerve-tingling frisson or two. (’‘The Rosary Murders’’ was directed by Fred Walton, who co-wrote the screenplay.) There is also a little inadvertent humor in the scene that has Father Koesler interrogating a nun who has taken a vow of silence, as she passes notes to him in the confessional. His questions are about the fate of a teen-age girl, and even the silent nun - who must repeat one of her answers by underlining it a few times - seems stunned at the remarkable slow-wittedness of her interrogator.

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Excerpt from a review at http://www.imdb.com

‘Somewhat overdone crime drama that has too many side or sub-plots that makes it a bit hard to follow. It’s when “The Rosary Murders” starts to focus in on it’s main theme and we start to zero on the killer that it’s starts to get interesting. The reason for his murderous rampage against those in the church was in helping his daughter Kathy not that the killers actions in any way were justified though you can understand his sick and demented reasoning. He was trying to offset what he did to his daughter and put the entire blame on the church who’s only crime, in regard to Kathy’s suicide, was that of omission. ‘

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

There’s a trailer for it here.

Posted: 01 August 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08
Jade - 01 August 2008 04:42 AM

Thanks. 

That looks like a bad movie.  I still wonder if we get any Elmore Leonard magic at all.

Posted: 01 August 2008 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

The problem with the novel, The Rosary Murders is that it is a mystery—“A Father Koesler Mystery.”  You don’t find out the identity of the killer until the final scene.  In the screenplay, Elmore determined that if the bad guy was going to be a lead character you had to get in his head earlier which is how he wrote it.  Unfortunately even an Elmore Leonard overlay could not save The Rosary Murders from mediocrity.  When asked just now about if there was anything about The Rosary Murders experience that he enjoyed, Elmore said, “no”. 

He wrote it because Bobby Laurel asked him and for the bread.

Posted: 13 November 2008 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Robb - 01 August 2008 01:02 PM
Jade - 01 August 2008 04:42 AM

Thanks. 

That looks like a bad movie.  I still wonder if we get any Elmore Leonard magic at all.

Robb, did you ever get round to seeing this film? or did you not bother; it did look pretty bad.

Posted: 14 November 2008 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

No.

I want to go back and see the westerns.  I have never seen HOMBRE or VALDEZ IS COMING.  Don’t tell anyone.  I have read both novels twice.

Posted: 14 November 2008 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

No, I won’t tell anyone.

There’s a trailer for Hombre here.
And, one for Valdez is Coming, here.

Posted: 14 November 2008 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Let us know what you think of the films once you’ve seen them.
I have read Valdez is Coming twice also, but still haven’t managed to get round to reading Hombre.

Posted: 06 May 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

THE ROSARY MURDERS is on ThisTV.

Friday, May 7th at 1:00am
THE ROSARY MURDERS

Sunday, May 16th at 4:00am
THE ROSARY MURDERS
A Detroit parish priest’s routine life is suddenly shattered when a mass killer confesses to brutally murdering priests and nuns… and the priest can’t inform the cops. The only clue to these bizarre murders is a black rosary carefully draped in each victim’s lifeless hand.

Starring: Belinda Bauer, Donald Sutherland, Charles Durning, Josef Sommer
Director: Fred Walton

ADAPTED BY ELMORE LEONARD

Runtime: 150 minutes
Rating: [TV-14 ]

Image Attachments
5d1759934cd0eb15068b7926a43e6b8d-ROSARYMU-00AA1-poster_hires.jpg

Posted: 08 October 2010 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

I picked up a paperback copy of THE ROSARY MURDERS at Brand Bookshop in Glendale, CA.

I have read about 35 pages over three nights.  I can’t get into it.  1300 Beaubien Street is mentioned and there is cop named Walter (Koznicki not Kouza) and Detroit and . . .

This is the worst Elmore Leonard book that Elmore Leonard didn’t write.

DJIBOUTI comes out Tuesday and I will finish THE ROSARY MURDERS around Christmas.