Djibouti
Posted: 12 January 2009 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Elmore, with typical candor, tells Neal Rubin about the new one he’s working on. “So far, he (Elmore) has an American traveling to Djibouti to shoot a documentary on Somali pirates, and a nattily dressed pirate showing up in Louisiana 60 days later.”

Topical Elmore. I like it.

I wonder if there’s any truth to the rumor that he’ll introduce Little Richard’s illegitimate son, Maurice Penniman, to readers in this one, the young rocker doing his first hit, “Tutti Frutti, Djibouti,” b/w “Did Ya Bootie Slap” (pronounced Djibouti Slap).

P.S. As an historical footnote, below are the original lyrics for Tutti Frutti. Richard was asked to clean them up, his stage act version not seen as fit for commercial release. I wonder why not.

“A wop bop a loo mop, a good goddam!
Tutti frutti, loose booty
If it don’t fit, don’t force it
You can grease it, make it easy.”

Posted: 17 January 2009 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

Somali pirate having role in EL book ?

I dont like what the pirates are doing but as a Somali the idea is awesome just because its an EL book even if its a negative thing like these pirates.

Posted: 17 January 2009 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Ha, yeah, we Canadians get The Blackbird in Killshot. Also a reference to some Canadian peacekeepers in The Hunted as, “assholes,” which was great to see. We get tired of being called, “nice,” all the time, the way people talk about a slightly retarded child wink.

Posted: 17 January 2009 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

Being from Somalia i would take canada’s good rep as being nice place over what people think of my homeland wink

Before it was only anarky, warlords and now we have the most infamous pirates in the world yeesh raspberry

Posted: 20 November 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-10-05

Aaaaaaaaa!–––I cannot wait for this book! I finished ‘Cuba Libre’ about six months ago––that and ‘Touch’ being the only novels in Elmore Leonard’s cannon I hadn’t read to that point––and I though I adore Florida (Where I live & Detroit) iconic locations in Mr. Leonard’s novels––seems to be when the master leaves these familiar landscapes, like in ‘Tishamingo Blues’, ‘The Hunted,  ‘Cuba Libre’ & ‘Pronto’, he does a fantastic job. ‘Blues’ is probably my favorite Elmore Leonard novel of all time! And so I peer out into the future––above––and wait in frenetic impatience for ‘‘Dijibouti’