Elmore and Peter Leonard at Tucson Festival of Books
Posted: 08 January 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2006-10-03

Does this thing have an agenda?  I’m thinking about coming down, spending the night, and combining it with a spring training game but I don’t want to buy baseball tickets and then find out that Elmore is on at the same time.  Rockies/Mariners are at 2 on Saturday and the dreaded Cubs play my Diamondbacks at 1 on Sunday.  The latter is a tough ticket so I’d really have to buy in advance.

Posted: 08 January 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

This is what I’ve been told:

MAR 14- Saturday: Elmore, Peter and Christopher – 10-10:30 (one hour with questions)
Student Union Ballroom

Followed by joint signing, Elmore and Peter

MAR 14-  Afternoon – Peter Leonard on a panel

MAR 14- Afternon – Elmore interviewed by Tom Miller or :  3:00-4:00 followed by 45 minutes of signing

Posted: 12 March 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-03

This is what they say now

Christopher Conover Leads A Conversation with a Literary Family - Elmore and Peter Leonard
Elmore “Dutch” Leonard
Saturday, March 14 2009 10:00 AM
Koffler - Room 204

Interview With Elmore Leonard by Tom Miller
Elmore “Dutch” Leonard
Saturday, March 14 2009 2:30 PM
Student Union - Ballroom South, Barnes & Noble Stage

I guess I will get up early and drive down there.  Anything else that I should know?

Posted: 12 March 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I’ve been on the phone all day with the festival organizers.  Because of a screw up they did not include Chris Leonard, Elmore’s son who lives in Tucson.  It’s fixed now and Chris will also be on the panel Saturday morning.  This event will be totally unique in the annals of literary history.

Posted: 15 March 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-03

It was definitely worth the trip (two hours each way of the most tediously uninteresting desert landscape on the planet).  The morning session had Elmore, Peter and Chris, along with a moderator, in a fairly intimate setting, a lecture hall.  Elmore signed books directly thereafter in a tent.  The afternoon session was a much larger group in the ballroom of the student union.  In case it wasn’t obvious, this was on the campus of the University of Arizona.  The interviewer for the afternoon session was Tom Miller, a Tucson resident who writes travel books and was the person that first alerted Elmore to the “la yuma” phenomenon.  Obviously a lot of territory was covered in the two hours of sessions.  The audience liked hearing that the Westerns were set in southern Arizona, not because he had history there, but because he had a subscription to Arizona Highways magazine, which provided insights into the terrain, vegetation, etc.  He also spoke about Djibouti, now about 100 pages done, with a bit of insight into the characters, the situation, etc.

Pictures at Flickr.

Posted: 15 March 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Thanks for the review, and thanks for the link to the photos, too.
Nice shot of your signed book. Not just a signature either.

Posted: 16 March 2009 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20

What did Elmore have to say about Road Dogs?

Posted: 16 March 2009 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-03

Not so much.  He seemed more interested in Djibouti, which is understandable.  Tom Miller read the first and last lines of Road Dogs and then asked Elmore to explain what happens in between.  He started into a fairly detailed description of the premise, where the characters came from and how things start developing in the story, but then stopped himself saying that he was not good at describing his stories, that he usually got far too into it.  One thing that I learned is that although what he says in an interview is usually entertaining and insightful, it rare ends up being an answer to the question.  By the way, I just finished Road Dogs and can tell you that it is hugely entertaining and satisfying and is easily my favorite of the last 10-15 years of his books.

Posted: 16 March 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Yes, thanks for sharing, Paul.
Take it easy

Posted: 18 March 2009 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Gregg,

Thanks for the photos on the main page.
Looking forward to the write up.

Posted: 18 March 2009 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

I’d like to see a photo of that one fan with Elmore, the shorter coed, along side the writer from Tucson, J. A. Jance.
A single photo separates the two shots now. What a striking disparity.
Excellent shots, Gregg, and a decent ‘writeup’ before the writeup as well.
Thanks.

‹‹ Leonard / Westlake Interview      Djibouti ››