Elmore Leonard and Iggy Pop
Posted: 13 January 2009 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

They’re probably not on the same list too often, but this year both are on the Michigan Notable Books list.

Posted: 13 January 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Yeah, it will be a while before both names crop up in the same place again, I think.

What caught my eye, from the same list, was:

From the Vine: Exploring Michigan Wineries, by Sharon Kegerreis and Lorri Hathaway (Ann Arbor Media Group) - Michigan’s eclectic vineyards are showcased in this gorgeous introduction to Michigan’s wines and the special people behind them. Experience Michigan’s welcoming wine culture behind the scenes with Kegerreis and Hathaway, and discover the stories, the legends of wine making, and the marvels of the grape.

I’m certainly no expert on Michigan, but I’ve consumed a fair amount of wine, and I’ve never seen a bottle labelled as such. Someone local, please put me in the picture. Is this a local supply and demand thing; similar to here in Japan? There are Japanese wine producers, but they only distribute domestically, not internationally.
Japanese grape wines suck, by the way. Japan should stick to making Sake - which is, of course, a polished rice wine.

Posted: 14 January 2009 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2006-10-03

I have consumed a bit of Michigan wine in my day.  I have never seen it outside of Michigan though.  I remember attending a friend’s wedding in the summer of 1972 and having Michigan “champagne” served.  I knew little about wine in those days but I suspect it is not very good.  We have a couple of wine producers in Arizona too, by the way.

Posted: 14 January 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
pbenjamin - 14 January 2009 11:51 AM

We have a couple of wine producers in Arizona too, by the way.

Arizona wine? That sounds about as likely as a playoff football game in Arizona…

‹‹ Djibouti      Elmore Leonard exhibit at UCLA ››