Say a word or two about ‘A Coyote’s in the House’
Posted: 31 October 2006 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

Picked it up last year at Christmas cheap.  Tried to read it to the kids but they lost interest.  Got thru the first 3 chapters or so.  Loved them.  Need to try again.

Posted: 01 November 2006 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Get Shorty meets Call of the Wild.  Keep trying, or just give ‘em Potter and read it yourself.

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-10-11

well, it’s got a real living person in it—harry dean stanton. Is that a first?

Posted: 07 November 2006 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Didn’t Stick have a number of Hollywood references in it?  And that one about the photographer in Miami, what was it called? LaBrava?  That one had our hero laying protective cover, so to speek, for one ‘noir’ era film starlet.  She might’ve been made up, but I kinda recall others mentioned who were not.

Then there had to be other Hollywood references in the Chili Palmer series and perhaps even in Rum Punch.

Wasn’t Harry Dean mentioned in other EL books too?

The ol’ Repo Man is still a favorite film character of mine.  Great in ‘Wild at Heart’ too.

Here’s another quiz for you.  Name the director and title of the short ‘western’ Harry Dean starred in.

Posted: 07 November 2006 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-10-11
Scrum - 07 November 2006 03:00 PM

Didn’t Stick have a number of Hollywood references in it?  And that one about the photographer in Miami, what was it called? LaBrava?  That one had our hero laying protective cover, so to speek, for one ‘noir’ era film starlet.  She might’ve been made up, but I kinda recall others mentioned who were not.

Then there had to be other Hollywood references in the Chili Palmer series and perhaps even in Rum Punch.

All true ... and all good references ... also the short story tenkiller has a lot of cool hollywood insider stuff but i think coyote is the only book where a real living person (not a fictional elmore leonard character) gets lines to say ... at least i think ... i remember harry dean stanton talking.
Which of course leads to another bunch of questions ... like are any of the characters in EL books based on real people? I’ve heard a rumor about Dustin Hoffman and Get Shorty? Is that valid?

Posted: 10 November 2006 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Stay Tuned for the return of Touchstones.  I am going to move the Touchstone posts over to this forum and perhaps inspire a few of you to contribute.  Touchstones are, if you don’t already know, connnections or threads from one book to the next.  The only thing stopping me at the moment are some technical challenges but I’ll get to them soon.

Posted: 10 November 2006 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Oh, I think we’re hooked now.  You’ve got this place absolutely buzzing with activity.  ;-D

Seriously though, it’s inspiring just seeing others excited about one of America’s most gifted writers.  I’m sure in time the forum’s active membership will blossom.  Just wait till we all start reading Up in Honey’s Room.

Posted: 11 November 2006 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

There are close to 400 registered members of The Dutch Forum.  I will soon do a mailing to remind people of the Forum and try to get them involved.  I am happy that a few of you are posting.