1 2 > 
1 of 2
What’s the Best Art for EL Novel Covers?
Posted: 02 November 2006 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-20

The earliest published edition of a particular book, or is there a particular printing of the various novels that is considered the one to have?  Paperback art better than hardbound?  Enquiring minds wanna know.

Posted: 16 November 2006 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

The most recent hardcovers have been very good, but I also like the black and white trade paperbacks that have come out recently.

Have you seen any of the foriegn covers? I picked up a French version of Killshot in Montreal last summer and it’s great.

Posted: 16 November 2006 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

I was gonna say, check out some of the foreign covers.  Gregg’s got a few on the blog page.  They have to be considered fair game for ‘best cover art’ eligibility.

I pesonally like the ‘oversized’ paperbacks came out a few years ago.  I’ve got half a dozen or so of those.  The cover art isn’t the best, but the whole presentation is pretty cool.

Posted: 17 November 2006 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

yeah, I agree totally, the presentation is the best part of the bigger paperbacks. I’ve been trying to pick up as many hardcovers as I can and there’s almost a turning point - maybe just after Freaky Deaky where the covers are a little… classier may not be the exact word, but something like that. Pagan Babies is a good cover and Tishimongo Blues is a great cover.

Pagan Babies is also an underrated book. It gets right to the heart of Rawanda with very real characters.

And yeah, some of the foriegn covers are really good. there’s a whole series of French ones that have a great feel.

Posted: 17 November 2006 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-17

I just joined the Forum and did a quick search for Pagan Babies since that was my first EL book to read. I was suprised that it had only one hit. I agree that it is highly under rated. Since reading about 3/4ths of the published EL books it is still my favorite.

Posted: 17 November 2006 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-10-11

all of the Chip Kidd-designed covers are great—- Get Shorty, Cat Chaser, Mr. Majestyk, The Tonto Woman, When the Women Come Out to Dance (and others, I think)—they really capture the works. And Kidd also designed that type ‘logo’ that’s been used repeatedly for Leonard’s name. It’s a really cool collaboration between writer and cover artist.

Posted: 17 November 2006 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-20

I think the publisher might use an illustrator that the writer doesn’t want or doesn’t favor.  Just because the publisher thinks an illustrator is good doesn’t mean the illustrator understands the writer’s work, and the lack of understanding is apparent in the illustration.  Who actually has the power for the illustration (or photo) used, the writer or the publisher?

Posted: 17 November 2006 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-10-11

the publisher almost always controls the packaging unless an author has enough clout to negotiate some say in the matter. That’s not always a bad thing. Many authors aren’t aware of the way book buyers make decisions so the marketing department may have a better angle on what sells. But it can also be pretty depressing when your book comes out with some dopey cover that is more likely to turn off buyers than turn them on. If you’ve worked as long as EL, at least you get some respect and top notch artwork from designers like Chip Kidd.

Posted: 17 November 2006 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03
JohnMcFetridge - 17 November 2006 12:09 PM

Pagan Babies is also an underrated book. It gets right to the heart of Rawanda with very real characters.

And Gregg says Elmore never writes about current events…  ;-D

At least that’s what he implied when I asked about Elmore doing another High Diver book, possibly set in New Orleans with some Katrina intonations thrown in the mix.  I can think of a few more examples of historical references sprinkled into Elmore’s work, and not just to set the date.

Fascintaing topic thogh, hearing about the marketing process and the cover art commissioned.  Having read paperback versions almost exclusively, I’m not familiar with hardly any of the hardcovers.  I’d have to look them up again to see what you guys are talking about, but Mr. Kidd’s talent is quite evident on the ‘Mr. Paradise’ cover.  He probably didn’t do the paperback cover, I’m guessing.  Or did he?

Posted: 19 November 2006 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

the publisher almost always controls the packaging unless an author has enough clout to negotiate some say in the matter. That’s not always a bad thing. Many authors aren’t aware of the way book buyers make decisions so the marketing department may have a better angle on what sells. But it can also be pretty depressing when your book comes out with some dopey cover that is more likely to turn off buyers than turn them on. If you’ve worked as long as EL, at least you get some respect and top notch artwork from designers like Chip Kidd.

Elmore has such clout up to a point.  After the Chip Kidd era, which ended when Elmore moved from Delacorte to HaperCollins, he has had a lot to say about the covers.  In fact, take Pagan Babies, he pretty much designed that.  He will add elements like the bullet holes in The Hot Kid car and he has a very specific idea in mind for Up in Honey’s Room.

The publisher does know best, in theory, but in the case of The Hot Kid, though we all like the cover, it did not sell as well as others. Up in Honey’s Room will have a cover that Elmore has pretty much dictated.  A lot of publishers use stock images and sometimes don’t go the extra mile to come up with the absolute best. Up in Honey’s Room will be sharp.

Posted: 19 November 2006 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

I picked up a French version of Killshot in Montreal last summer and it’s great.

The Rivage covers are quite good, especially Killshot.

Posted: 19 November 2006 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

And Gregg says Elmore never writes about current events… ;-D

At least that’s what he implied when I asked about Elmore doing another High Diver book, possibly set in New Orleans with some Katrina intonations thrown in the mix.  I can think of a few more examples of historical references sprinkled into Elmore’s work, and not just to set the date.

I am not sure if you are making a point or something else.

Please don’t say I said something when I didn’t.  Elmore begins with a character, then folds in an occupation or a location.  He knew of Rwanda because of We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda  The lead character, Terry Dunn, came out of his imagination.

Posted: 19 November 2006 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

I’d have to look them up again to see what you guys are talking about, but Mr. Kidd’s talent is quite evident on the ‘Mr. Paradise’ cover.  He probably didn’t do the paperback cover, I’m guessing.  Or did he?

Chip Kidd designed neither.

Posted: 20 November 2006 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2005-01-10

Well I think a High Diver book set in New Orleans after Katrina, would be GREAT, for me.
Not that anyone else would be interested, but I could see Dennis getting involved in a FEMA trailer scam, and all hell breaks loose at the trailer park. Heck you don’t need to write a book, just bring a video camera here and make it a movie.
Maybe a short story instead of a novel, would be better.
Nah, still wishful thinking, plus there are no high divers in New Orleans anymore.

Anyway, I like the cover of Tishomingo Blues, but the diver should have been on FIRE.
That would be HOT.

Have a Great Thanksgiving everyone and keep posting, it’s great to see everyone back and discussing Dutch the way it should be.

Signature 

It’s a Long Long way to FALL

Posted: 20 November 2006 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

Ahh, I’m mixing up Mr. Majestic and Mr. Paradise.  My bad.

As far as putting words in your mouth, Gregg, I don’t mean to.  I’m just a guy posting free speech on an open forum knowing full well that anyone I offend or misquote or misunderstand has ample opportunity to correct me, and I expect as much from Mr. Leonard’s researcher.  And I thank you for doing so.

So is the guy who designed and/or did the cover art on Mr. Paradise (hardcover edition) the same person who did the paperback version?

Posted: 20 November 2006 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

On one of the foriegn covers (I think the French one) of Mr. Paradise the girl is topless.

And hey, I see a recent re-issue of Swag in French. Will there be a new English one out sometime?

1 2 > 
1 of 2