Is Stick the Movie Any Good?
Posted: 29 October 2006 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Scrum: If you are asking about Stick the Movie being any good, the answer is no.  Up until the Big Bounce 2 and Be Cool, it was probably the worst adaptation because the expectations for something good coming out of it were pretty high.  It was a profound disappointment to Elmore.  Stick was a favorite character starting with Swag.  The first unheeded warning sign was that Burt Reynolds was directing.  Nothing against Burt the actor.  Elmore clearly saw him in the part.  As director though he let his actors run wild and their performances degenerated into an unsubtle nod and a wink every time somebody said something funny.  In other words, they were reacting to the humor, a big no-no.  Dutch told Barry Sonnefeld before Get Shorty not to cut away for a reaction every time somebody said something funny.  Barry followed that advice and was the first director to really treat Elmore’s work properly on the screen.  Reynolds, unfortunately, poisoned Stick.

Posted: 31 October 2006 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Yep.  That’s what I was asking about.  Had no idea.  Someone needs to remake Stick, and do it right this time. 

If they get Killshot right, sign that company up for Stick revisited…

Posted: 01 November 2006 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Someone needs to remake Stick, and do it right this time.

More likely, someboy needs to do Swag where Stick, the character, first appears.  A classic from Elmore’s Seventies Detroit period.

Posted: 01 November 2006 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

I sent my dad recently a bunch of EL novels.  This was after I gave him a smaller bunch, including a few of the westerns, The Hot Kid and Cuba Libre.

The first one he picks up and reads from the latest shipment:  Swag!  Loved it.
He’s reading Stick now.