What’s with the Pruning Shears?
Posted: 29 October 2006 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Maybe we’re getting off the body count topic a little, but what’s with the pruning shears? Bad guys play around with them in at least three EL novels. Anybody remember those gardening lessons?

Excellent question.  By the way, when you think the discussion has gotten off topic in a thread, start a new one.  That’s what I’m doing here.  Tell everybody which novels the pruning shears were in, and I’ll give you an answer.  Frankly, I cannot remember more than one.

Posted: 31 October 2006 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-10-11

okay, shout out to Carney who asked for clues—(1) one guy, shopping for Jell-o (at Wolfie’s I think), uses his shears to get a lady’s ring (2) one guy, who works with his brother, tries to use them, but gets sideswiped by a pool cleaning pole, and (3) one guy, (played by the great Delroy Lindo in the movie) just hands them over to our hero.

Posted: 01 November 2006 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

1) one guy, shopping for Jell-o (at Wolfie’s I think), uses his shears to get a lady’s ring (2) one guy, who works with his brother, tries to use them, but gets sideswiped by a pool cleaning pole,

These two references are from Riding the Rap.  The character’s name is Bobby Deo, short for Bobby Deogracias (I think that’s the spelling)

and (3) one guy, (played by the great Delroy Lindo in the movie) just hands them over to our hero.

This would be Get Shorty but I don’t recall this scene.

The origin of the shears is that his wife Christine is a master gardener and always carries pruning shears in a belt holster.  This inspired Elmore.

Posted: 01 November 2006 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-11

Wow, thanks for the explanation about the shears. Riding the Rap, yes, and Bobby Deo was the guy ... but I was thinking about a different book for the pool cleaning pole battle. This one involved one of the Mendoza brothers.

Posted: 01 November 2006 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

The Mendoza Bros.  Was that Bandits?

Read the other two a long time ago.  Recall the scene in Maximum Bob where the judge is showing our hero his prized orchids.  Don’t know if ol’ Bob had any shears on him at the time.  Wouldn’t've harmed his ‘girlfriend’ anyway.

Posted: 01 November 2006 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-11

Not Bandits.
Not old Judge Bob, either, though geographically, you’re closer with that one.

Posted: 02 November 2006 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-20

My favorite pruning-shear visual is the one in Exorcist III at George C. Scott’s house with the nurse.

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-11

uh ... fyi on those shears ... that was Moran in Cat Chaser who did the deflection.

Posted: 07 November 2006 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Ah yes, Cat Chaser… the Mendoza bros.  It’s all coming back to me now.  That was another excellent tome.  Good call!