Geneva Beach, Michigan (Big Bounce)
Posted: 20 October 2006 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2006-10-03

Does anyone know what real location this is based on?  It would appear to be either Port Austin or Caseville.  Bob Jr. mentions his wife “going down to Bad Axe” to see her mother.  Does Elmore Leonard have a history with either of these places?

Posted: 20 October 2006 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

I’ts been a while since I read that one.  I knew that book wasn’t set in Hawaii, like the movie.  They really took some liberties there.  Sorry I can’t answer your question.  I’m not that familiar with the Detroit area nor that part of Michigan to which you refer (or Mr. Leonard’s affinity for it based on his works).

Posted: 22 October 2006 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Does anyone know what real location this is based on?  It would appear to be either Port Austin or Caseville.

Port Austin is Geneva Beach according to Elmore.  The actual motel was Joe Buffa’s Bayside Villa.

In the 1960s, Elmore and the family and five other couples and their children would go up to Port Austin where you could rent a cabin, before July 4th, for $60 a week.  What did they do up there?  “Go fishing, lay around the beach, drink beer and play with the kids.”  What else?