Elmore’s Blurbs
Posted: 26 February 2009 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Recently discussed was the blurb that appears on Donald Westlake/Richard Stark’s books. It made me curious about other blurbs that Elmore has given. The first one I discovered was a book by Jim O. Born (who has been mentioned before on this forum). John’s met him, and Gregg goes way back with him, if my memory serves me correctly.

Anyone have any others? Has anyone read a book purely on Elmore’s endoresment? What were the results?

The cover’s here, by the way.

Posted: 26 February 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-07-02

I believe Elmore has some blurbs on Mike Lupica books which are not that good. I recently read “Joe The Engineer” by Chuck Wachtel as there was a reference from Elmore and Gregg that they both liked it. Thought it was pretty good, but a bit too much New York patois (example: “Get outta hea ya bum”).

Posted: 26 February 2009 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08
Straw - 26 February 2009 02:25 PM

I believe Elmore has some blurbs on Mike Lupica books which are not that good. I recently read “Joe The Engineer” by Chuck Wachtel as there was a reference from Elmore and Gregg that they both liked it. Thought it was pretty good, but a bit too much New York patois (example: “Get outta hea ya bum”).

I bought it last month and loved it.  Is there a sequel, Gregg?

Posted: 26 February 2009 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Willy Remembers, by Irvin Faust, thanks solely to Elmore’s blurb and this website.

Google search on the title brings up our discussion in results position number 2:
Elmore on crazy Willy

Excellent read.
Loved it.
My copy didn’t have the EL blurb is all.
Same cover, just no blurb.

Posted: 04 March 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Found a slightly longer version of Elmore’s blurb that appeared on Lemons Never Lie, by Richard Stark, on the University of Chicago Press’ website (they are gradually putting the Parker books back into print) :

“Whatever Stark writes, I read. He’s a stylist, a pro, and I thoroughly enjoy his attitude.”—Elmore Leonard

Posted: 05 March 2009 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-03-02

Mr. Leonard also has a blurb on the cover of Douglas E. Winter’s ‘Run’ (published in 2000) by Canongate Crime:
“Run doesnt run, it flies. The style is terrific. What Winter does here is open a new school: how to write thrillers with a pace that takes your breath away.”
This quote was one of the main reasons I bought and read the book and I’m so glad I did, its one of the best non-Leonard books I’ve read in years.
It focuses on a gun runner who gets caught up in a double crossed deal by his employers.
I highly recommend it.

Posted: 06 March 2009 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
bencooper - 06 March 2009 04:58 AM

Mr. Leonard also has a blurb on the cover of Douglas E. Winter’s ‘Run’ (published in 2000) by Canongate Crime:
“Run doesnt run, it flies. The style is terrific. What Winter does here is open a new school: how to write thrillers with a pace that takes your breath away.”
This quote was one of the main reasons I bought and read the book and I’m so glad I did, its one of the best non-Leonard books I’ve read in years.
It focuses on a gun runner who gets caught up in a double crossed deal by his employers.
I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the forum, bencooper. I’ve never read any of Douglas E. Winter’s books. Yet another author I have to add to my ever-growing ‘to read’ list!

Posted: 06 March 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-03-02
Jade - 06 March 2009 06:54 AM
bencooper - 06 March 2009 04:58 AM

I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the forum, bencooper. I’ve never read any of Douglas E. Winter’s books. Yet another author I have to add to my ever-growing ‘to read’ list!

Thankyou for the welcome, I’ve been checking out the site regularly for ages now and kept meaning to register - finally got around to it.

As far as I’ve been able to find out on the web Dougles E. Winter’s usual work is in writing and editing magazines and anthologies of horror fiction and so far as I can see ‘Run’ is his only crime genre novel - which I see as a great shame because it is a stunning novel. Without giving anything away plot-wise there is a scene involving a shooting near a train that still takes my breath away after almost a decade of re-reading.

Posted: 06 March 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

I did a quick search about Douglas E. Winter after reading your post. Yeah, it appears to be his only novel. If it’s as good as you say though, it will go on the list. Thanks.

Posted: 06 March 2009 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

If you are looking for new writers to read, Jade, you’ve come to the right place.

This probably should be in the ‘what am I reading now’ thread, but this thread is as good a place as any.  Besides, I’m not currently reading it anymore.

And that is Seldon Edwards’ The Little Book.
Heard about it on NPR last summer.
Spent most of late summer and fall reading it.
Had to slow burn it and savor every last bit of this epic masterpiece, IMHO.

I’ve been reading fiction for many many years, yet this book had me seriously considering penning my first fan letter ever.  It is quite different than your typical crime novel.  You guys all seem to talk exclusively about crime novels here, and why not?  It’s the Dutch Forum for chrissake.  But I’m glad to see folks like Jade inquiring about other authors and genres.  Good on ya, J-man.

The Little Book is Mr. Edwards’ first novel and it has taken him over 30 years to write.  That fact alone seems to have shaped and evolved his story like no other that I can think of having read.  It’s a historical novel, set partly in 1897 Vienna, partly in WWII England and France, partly in Northern California c. 1950 and 1990, and touches turn-of-the-century Boston and on through the rest of 20th century New England. It can be compared to some of Elmore Leanard’s books, I suppose, in that EL likes to set his stories in different eras (1898 Cuba, 1930s dust bowl, 1860s Arizona Territories), but you would never mistake this book with one of Elmore’s.  Still, great writing is great writing. 

Like most of EL’s books, this one draws you in quick and keeps you there. Also like EL books, the chapters are quite short.  Four to eight pages for the most part.  This book has over 50 chapters as I recall and it comes in at less than 400 pages.  Wheather you get to this one or not, J, at least you’ve got another author for you list.  Mr. Edwards needs to step up the output if he hopes to stay on it, though.

Now, back to the EL blurbs…

Posted: 06 March 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Thanks for the info, Scrum. It will certainly be going on the list.
With regard to reading: I’ll read anything if it’s well written and the subject matter appeals to me, regardless of genre, or whether it is fiction or non-fiction.
In a couple of weeks I’ll be 35. If I live to 70, I’ll count myself lucky; so when it comes to reading, I hope that I have another good 35 years. That also means that if I pick up a book, and I don’t like the ‘feel’, I’ll put it down again. There are so many other books that need to be read, without wasting time on poorly written works.

My list is growing all the time, and I’m happy to read any further suggestions you have.
And I’m all for the book swap idea. I have a couple of George Pelecanos’ novels here, The Night Gardener and The Sweet Forever. If you haven’t read them, and fancy giving them a go, let me know.

Posted: 07 March 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I picked Charles Willeford Miami Blues because Leonard had a blurb where he hailed him.  In Willeford wiki page Leonard said good things about him.

“No one write a better crime novel than Charles Willeford.” —Elmore Leonard

I choosed Willeford because i wanted more Noir writers.  He sounded interesting and EL words made me to definitly decide.  EL isnt exactly like Stephen King who has blurbs on every book in the bizz.

When i read Willeford i saw why EL had words for him.  He was so similar in writing style,characters,tone.

Posted: 07 March 2009 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08
Parker - 07 March 2009 03:59 PM

I picked Charles Willeford Miami Blues because Leonard had a blurb where he hailed him.  In Willeford wiki page Leonard said good things about him.

“No one write a better crime novel than Charles Willeford.” —Elmore Leonard

I choosed Willeford because i wanted more Noir writers.  He sounded interesting and EL words made me to definitly decide.  EL isnt exactly like Stephen King who has blurbs on every book in the bizz.

When i read Willeford i saw why EL had words for him.  He was so similar in writing style,characters,tone.

Mr. Leonard wrote the introduction to the 2004 paperback release of MIAMI BLUES.

Check out the non-fiction section of the forum for some excellent reviews that Mr. Leonard has written.  He reviews DANCING BEAR which was mentioned on the blog.

Posted: 08 March 2009 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Not an Elmore blurb exactly, but his name is splashed across the cover of The Friends of Eddie Coyle, by George V. Higgins, advertising Elmore’s introduction to the book. Robb kindly posted it a long time ago, here.

This book is now with me, and in due time I will get around to reading it.

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31

“Highly original and entertaining….Driven by Hall’s real-life dialogue….The tomato juice scene alone is worth the price of the book.”

That’s what Mr. Leonard had to say about HARD AGROUND, by James W. Hall.

It was published back in ‘93, but I just read it for the first time. Mr. Leonard was right. A great book. Jim Hall may be the best of the “Florida Mystery” writers. Outside of Mr. Leonard, of course.

‹‹ City Primeval/Hang Tough      La Yuma ››