Tishomingo Blues Research
Posted: 02 January 2009 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20

I was reading Elmore’s essay, “Thank God for Robert Johnson” and found it interesting that he initially had pegged Robert Taylor, ‘the coolest guy in the book,’ as a jazz fan.
You were right on to suggest to Elmore that Taylor would be listening to blues. I don’t picture him driving around the Delta with Coltrane coming out of the speakers.

I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but the blues angle in this book is what drew me in; and I was impressed with how Robert broke down the Delta players influence on the Chicago musicians and British kids.

I dig the part in early in the book when Robert asks Dennis if he likes the blues, and Dennis says he’s a fan of Hooker, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I come across this type of response often when I ask people what kind of blues they like. Not that there’s anything wrong with Hooker, BB or Stevie (I love ‘em too), but you could spend a lifetime listening to the blues and still not hear it all.
It’s akin to people saying ‘Yeah, I love reggae,’ and then they say Bob Marley is their favorite-and only—reggae artist, if that makes sense.

But Dennis redeemed himself later when he mentioned Little Walter (aka, the Hendrix of the harmonica). 

Where did your research in the Delta take you? Did you visit the Delta Blues Musuem? Muddy Waters’ cabin, which I think was torn down recently? I’ve got to make a pilgrimage down there someday; though there aren’t many juke joints around there anymore. Maybe a few up are still around in the North Mississippi hill country (which still has a vibrant musical scene).

Anyway, just wanted to commend you and Elmore for the accuracy in the book. Even Charley Patton’s name is spelled correctly—I see it spelled Charlie a lot. And T-Bone Walker is surely one of the most underrapreciated guitarists of all-time. Musicians know how influential he was, but the public doesn’t for the most part. He was basically the first electric blues guitar player. There’s no Chuck Berry, Hendrix or Van Halen (I could do without the latter) without T-Bone. 

The only minor gripe I would have is…I don’t think Stevie Ray Vaughan was directly influenced by the Delta Blues. He was a Texan of course, so he was listening to a lot of Lightnin’ Hopkins, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Albert King, etc.

Have a good weekend.

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I went to the Crossroads but spent most of my time in Tunica, for the story.  I was a fan of the Delta blues in college and knew about most of the main guys already.  As for Stevie Ray, you need to make a distinction between what the character, Robert Taylor thinks and what Elmore knows.

He said, “Down there’s the famous crossroads
He said, “You like blues?”
“Some ” Dennis said, starting to think of names.
“What’s that mean? Some”
“I like John Lee Hooker. I like B. B. King.
Lemme think, I like Stevie Ray Vaughan
“You know what B. B. King said the first time he heard T-Bone Walker? He said he thought Jesus himself had returned to earth playing electric guitar.
They cool, John Lee and B.B., and Stevie Ray’s fine. But you know where they came from? ‘What they were influenced by? The Delta. The blues, man, born right here. Charley Patton from Lula, lived on a cotton plantation. Son House, lived in Clarksdale, down this road” Robert’s hand reached to the instrument panel and pushed a button.
“You don’t get off on this you don’t know blues”

That’s Robert talking.  Fiction aside, you may be right.  Stevie Ray would not have been influenced as much by the Delta as his fellow Texans, although he did have Robert Johnson in his repetroire.

Posted: 02 January 2009 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
Gregg Sutter - 02 January 2009 09:58 PM

Stevie Ray would not have been influenced as much by the Delta as his fellow Texans, although he did have Robert Johnson in his repetroire.

Influences often take roundabout routes to get places. I remember seeing Jimmy Vaughn’s band, The Fabulous Thunderbirds in the early 80’s in a club in Montreal in the dead of winter—it was hot in there, all kinds of blues.

Now when I read Tishomingo Blues and there’s the line about all the tourist pamphlets in the car I can picture them in Gregg’s car. Well, in a Jaguar.

Posted: 03 January 2009 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

on the bridge
across
the creek
civil war
battle

Posted: 20 November 2009 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-10-05

My favorite Elmore Leonard book. I remember reading the first edition copy I bought in borders in Burlington, Vermont––sitting up in my father’s chair until early in the morning–knowing I was due at the hospital for work–laughing my ass off and not giving a damn. And Robert Taylor––though I took his name for my forum “name” and kindly misspelled it––is the coolest fellow brother I’ve read in a long time––let us not forget human do, ‘cause Mr. Leonard doesn’t write “props” he writes people. This was one of the most important crime novels Elmore Leonard wrote; I’d argue his best, even though I love all of them.

Posted: 27 November 2009 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20
Robert Tyler - 21 November 2009 12:30 AM

This was one of the most important crime novels Elmore Leonard wrote; I’d argue his best, even though I love all of them.

I’m reading this again—four years since I first read it—and I find it difficult to disagree with the above comment. It’s a brilliant novel. Might be my favorite collection of characters. I gotta check out this mysterious Marvin Pontiac character.

My favorite line:

“I’m a diver, Vernice.”
“You sure are, honey.”