Western Short Stories
Posted: 02 January 2009 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I have been going through my complete collection of EL’s western and been enjoying it.  Alot better than i expected cause of how young he was as a writer in the 50s.

What stories have you guys read ?  Favorites ?

One thing puzzles me about the collection.  The short story Saint with six-gun/ The Hanging of Bobby Valdez is it about the same Bob Valdez thats from his western novel Valdez is Coming ? 
I gotta wonder how some young outlaw can suddenly become a hero seeing as that is how the introduction of the collection describes Bob Valdez.

Posted: 02 January 2009 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08
Parker - 02 January 2009 11:54 AM

The short story Saint with six-gun/ The Hanging of Bobby Valdez is it about the same Bob Valdez thats from his western novel Valdez is Coming ? 
I gotta wonder how some young outlaw can suddenly become a hero seeing as that is how the introduction of the collection describes Bob Valdez.

“Only Good Ones” is basically the opening chapter of VALDEZ IS COMING.  “Saint With A Six-Gun” has some elements mentioned in “Only Good Ones”.

I assume that Mr. Leonard took some ideas from the short stories and made a novel out of it.  A short story and a novel might have had different audiences. 

“No Man’s Guns” is one of my favorites.  They’re all good.

Here are some links to the movie trailers or information on the filmed short stories:

“Moment of Vengeance” was filmed as an episode on Schlitz Playouse of the Stars in 1956.  “The Tonto Women” was an Academy Award nominee for short film last year.  “3:10 to Yuma” has been filmed twice.  “The Captives” was filmed as THE TALL T.  “Only Good Ones” became VALDEZ IS COMING and that was a movie.

THE COMPLETE WESTERN STORIES OF ELMORE LEONARD is a must.  I can’t say it enough.  It has a nice introduction by Gregg Sutter.

Posted: 02 January 2009 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30
Robb - 02 January 2009 12:35 PM
Parker - 02 January 2009 11:54 AM

The short story Saint with six-gun/ The Hanging of Bobby Valdez is it about the same Bob Valdez thats from his western novel Valdez is Coming ? 

“Only Good Ones” is basically the opening chapter of VALDEZ IS COMING.  “Saint With A Six-Gun” has some elements mentioned in “Only Good Ones”.

I assume that Mr. Leonard took some ideas from the short stories and made a novel out of it.  A short story and a novel might have had different audiences. 

“No Man’s Guns” is one of my favorites.  They’re all good.

“Moment of Vengeance” was filmed as an episode on Schlitz Playouse of the Stars in 1956.  “The Tonto Women” was an Academy Award nominee for short film last year.  “3:10 to Yuma” has been filmed twice.  “The Captives” was filmed as THE TALL T.  “Only Good Ones” became VALDEZ IS COMING and that was a movie.

THE COMPLETE WESTERN STORIES OF ELMORE LEONARD is a must.  I can’t say it enough.  It has a nice introduction by Gregg Sutter.

I know all about the movies,which short stories became novels and so on.

I just was wondering that the same guy who died cause he got hanged when he failed to escape suddenly becomes a hero thats wierd.

My question was only if it was the same Valdes.  I liked how Lyall hit back when Valdes tried to escape with his friend in The Hanging of Bobby Valdes.  Thats my favorit short story along with 3.10 to Yuma.

Posted: 12 May 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-04-18

I started reading Dutch’s western short stories in the pulp magazines. I was already collecting pulp magazines, a.k.a. pulps, since the mid-1970s, so when I found out Elmore appeared in WESTERN STORY MAGAZINE, DIME WESTERN, ect., I was elated.  Elmore supplied the list of magazine appearances when he agreed to an interview with me; it eventually would be published in THE ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE.  When it came to the story that did not appear in THE COMPLETE WESTERN STORIES,
“The Treasure of Mungo’s Landing”, it was one of those items that begin to irk the person seeking it out.  Only collectors would understand what that feeling is like and, to make it worse, I knew it had been published.  I suspected, at first, that it had been designated for an editor’s “slush pile”. That is a situation where a backlog of stories is sold to a publisher who acquires them from another magazine publisher going out of business.  Leo Margulies had done this and used these stories in various titles.  One title he edited was SHORT STORIES FOR MEN and he had a story by Elmore Leonard that appeared in an issue in 1959 titled ‘Bullring At Blisston”.  I thought that there might be a chance that he had aquired “Fury At Four-turnings”, the original title of “Treasure of Mungo’s Landing”, and it appeared in another issue of SHORT STORIES FOR MEN that had not been uncovered. (Try and find an issue of this title. I found mine by accident.)  The thing that bothered me most was the original list of stories had it appearing in an issue of ADVENTURE, so when Web Master Gregg told me he was seeking “Fury…”  I suggested his looking into the Popular Publications archive at the NYPL; due to finances I could not accomplish this myself. One thing we both wondered about was the cover.  ADVENTURE was known to feature cover paintings of Nazis whipping scantily clad women, or a couple, usually a wounded guy lugging around an unconcious woman, being threatened by some group of creatures from the animal kingdon. Gregg expressed concern about a Nazi cover, not so much the threat from nature.  It turned out to be a moot point.  The cover on TRUE ADVENTURES, a magazine from Popular Publications, actually featured a scene from the story (a first!).  The thing I want to know, and probably never will, what editor chose to change the title from ‘Fury At Four-turnings” (great title) to “Treasure of Mungo’s Landing” (really?).

Posted: 13 May 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Thank you, Joel!  You are a Dutch Forum legend.