3 of 4
Donald Westlake R.I.P.
Posted: 04 March 2009 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04
Scrum - 04 March 2009 04:43 PM

When you’re finished with it (them) send me one.  I’ll make sure it gets back to Parker.
Anyone else wishes to peruse a book mentioned here or anywhere else I’d be happy send you my copy.
Start a Napster for book sharing.

Not a bad idea, Scrum. Kind of a Dutch Forum Member’s Library.

Posted: 05 March 2009 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

Actually i dont need the books back.  Jade can send them where he wants.

Im already getting the new Parker reprints to replace the books in my shelf.

I like the idea of my books going from Stark fan to other who then become Stark fans smile

Posted: 05 March 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Japanese cover of The Seventh, by Richard Stark, here.

Posted: 08 March 2009 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

It seems that the Parker novels are being adapted and released in graphic novel format:

Have a look, here.

Posted: 09 March 2009 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

Yeah thats old news to me.

I wont miss it of course.  I can only hope Darwyn Cooke captures the tone.

Posted: 09 March 2009 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Parker - 09 March 2009 09:37 AM

You’re going to get them, as and when they are released?
They will be good additions to your collection.

Posted: 09 March 2009 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30
Jade - 09 March 2009 10:00 AM

Of course if they dont really suck i wont miss Parker making a debut in another medium.

Hope its not like when i saw Point Blank movie where they ruined Parker with too much hollywood macho,art film directing.

Posted: 09 March 2009 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Parker - 09 March 2009 10:10 AM

Of course if they dont really suck i wont miss Parker making a debut in another medium.

Hope its not like when i saw Point Blank movie where they ruined Parker with too much hollywood macho,art film directing.

Good point. I can’t believe, after all the adaptations of his books, that not one adaptation of a Parker novel has resulted in the main character (in the film)  actually being called Parker!

Posted: 09 March 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30
Jade - 09 March 2009 10:15 AM
Parker - 09 March 2009 10:10 AM

Good point. I can’t believe, after all the adaptions of his books, that not one adaption of a Parker novel has resulted in the main character (in the film)  actually being called Parker!

Yeah the name changing is annoying but how they got Parker so wrong in character,personality is my problem.

Parker is calm, explosive only when he kills,he knocks someone out.  He doesnt go looking macho fighting people like in the movies.

Posted: 09 March 2009 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31

Posted: 09 March 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Jade - 09 March 2009 01:39 AM

It seems that the Parker novels are being adapted and released in graphic novel format:

Have a look, here.

Gregg, has there ever been any interest in adapting Elmore’s novels into graphic format?
Stark’s Parker books are being adapted, and Stephen King’s Dark Tower series has been selling very well.

Which novel would forum members most like to see in this format?
I’m not a graphic novel reader myself, but if Elmore’s were to be adapted, I’d certainly buy them.

Posted: 10 March 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Gregg, has there ever been any interest in adapting Elmore’s novels into graphic format?

There’s been talk of it from time to time.  Just talk.

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

From The Dark Half, by Stephen King. Thad Beaumont is being interviewed by People magazine with regard to him ‘killing off’ his pseudonym, George Stark. When asked how he decided upon the name:

“Well, there’s a crime writer named Donald E. Westlake,” Beaumont explains. “And under his real name, Westlake uses the crime novel to write these very funny social comedies about American life and American mores.
“But from the early sixties until the mid-seventies or so, he wrote a series of novels under the name of Richard Stark, and those books are very different. They are about a man named Parker who is a professional thief. He has no past, no future, and in the best books, no interests other than robbery.
“Anyway, for reasons you’d have to ask Westlake about, he eventually stopped writing novels about Parker, but I never forget something that Westlake said after the pen name was blown. He said he wrote books on sunny days and Stark took over on the rainy ones. I liked that….”

Posted: 14 March 2009 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

King is a famous Parker/Richard Stark fan.  Its the one blurb of his i believe because he has shown his love for Stark/Westlake many times other than in his pen-names,character names.

From wiki and many other articles.

“He originally selected pseudonym was Gus Pillsbury (King’s maternal grandfather); but at the last moment King changed it to “Richard Bachman”, in tribute to crime author Donald E. Westlake’s long-running pseudonym Richard Stark. The name Stark was used in King’s novel The Dark Half, a novel about an author with a pseudonym.

The surname was in honor of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, a rock and roll band King was listening to at the time.[1] “

Posted: 20 April 2009 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Introduction to the Gregg Press Edition of The Hunter, by Richard Stark.

Generally speaking, I don’t think writers know who they are; it’s a disability–and an advantage–they share with actors. And it’s probably just as well, really. Self-knowledge can lead to self-consciousness, and in a writer self-consciousness can only lead to self-parody. Or silence.

Whereas actors receive an endless supply of surrogate identities in the roles they’re given to play, writers tend to begin their search for identity in their predecessors. Every one of us began by imitating the writers we loved to read. Those writers had made their worlds so real and appealing for us that we tried to move in and live there.

I was the right age at the right time to be very heavily influenced by the arrival of Gold Medal books. These were in the fictional form known as the novel; but not really–or so it seemed at first. They were stripped down and lumpy and crude, like a beach buggy. Half the time they seemed little more than 50,000-word short stories; all that build-up, all those characters, all that preparation of setting and emotions and scenes and relationships, just to end in a shootout in a swamp. These yellow-spined paperbacks had compulsive strength, but without beauty, like acid rock: but they were interesting.

And either the books got better or my critical sense got worse. In any event, I began gradually to make sense among the by-lines in this new garden, and to realize that here too there were gradations from very good to very very very very bad. Once I’d separated the writers from the bricklayers, everything was fine.

Gold Medal introduced me to John D. MacDonald, Vin Packer, Chester Himes, David Goodis and, by far the most important, Peter Rabe. (Rabe’s Kill the Boss Goodbye [1956] is one of the best books, with one of the worst titles, I’ve ever read.) The understatement of violence, resulting from Rabe’s modesty of character rather than modesty of experience (which is why Hammett had it down pat and Chandler could never quite make it work), was refined in these books to a laconic hipness I could only admire from afar.

(And still do. I’ve never met Rabe, and though I’d love to I’m not sure I should. What would I say to him? What would the poor man be forced to say to me?)

Rabe was not my only teacher, nor did I learn only from the tough crime novel. One of the early Gold Medals, a beautiful western by Clifton Adams called The Desperado (1950), a novel with that same compact, understated, almost reluctant treatment of violence, first introduced me to the notion of the character adapting to his forced separation from normal society. Peter Rabe, in book after book, refined that idea.

I had discovered I was a writer when I was eleven; the world took several years longer to reach the same conclusion. By 1960, however, in my mid-’20s, I was at last a published writer (with Random House and some magazines), I’d quit my final honest job, and I was lunging shakily forward into my vocation. What I wanted to do was gather up armloads of words the way we used to gather up armloads of snowballs when I was a kid; every one with a small hard rock in the middle. I wanted to explain, but more than that I wanted to affect. We all know that feeling from having been called on the carpet in the principal’s office; as we start on that labyrinthine lie, as we tread out over that expanse of thin ice, terrified but committed to self-preservation through prevarication, we keep dropping in the suggestive detail, the pregnant inference, the apparently ingenuous reference, the double-edged word, hoping that the accumulation of technique will somehow overpower the fact that the principal has the goods on us and we don’t have a leg to stand on. That’s when the use of words creates a nervous thrill, and it was that nervous thrill I wanted to recreate, both for me and my reader, in my choice of which words to wing at the page, each one concealing its tiny hard rock. (Later, I learned that comedy uses the same methods for even more disreputable motives, but I’m talking now about my early days.)

In 1962, I was trying to write a first-person novel in which no emotion would ever be stated; only the physical side-effects of emotion would be described, as various high-tension things would happen to and around the narrator. The book was eventually finished, and published in hardcover by Random House as “361? (1962), but halfway through its writing I’d stopped for a while, deflected by an idea for a book I though of as a Gold Medal.

That’s what I wanted, of course, to have two publishers for my work, one for hardcover and one for soft. It seemed to me a very professional thing to have a second position to fall back to. Though I’d had a couple of books published by Random House my life as a self-supporting writer was far from assured and I already knew, unfortunately, that robbery was a tactic of last resort.
The idea of the book had come about in a very mundane way; I walked across the George Washington Bridge. I’d been visiting a friend about 30 mils upstate from New York, and had taken a bus back to the city. However, I’d chosen the wrong bus, one that terminated on the New Jersey side of the bridge instead of the New York side (where I could catch my subway). So I walked across the bridge, surprised at how windy it was out there (when barely windy at all anywhere else) and at how much the apparently solid bridge shivered and swung from the wind and the pummeling of the traffic. There was speed in the cars going by, vibration in the bridge under my feet, tension in the whole atmosphere.

Continued…

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4