< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
Donald Westlake R.I.P.
Posted: 11 February 2009 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I see Leonard blurb on many Stark/Westlake books.  Good to know they knew eacother and its not only commercial hype.

So you had no choice in JP.  Too bad.  But if you like you can import other Stark books ?

Posted: 11 February 2009 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Yes, there were a fair amount listed on Amazon JP, just not too many in stock.
I can order them and wait for them, 11 days, 3 weeks, a month in some instances. I’m slightly impatient in these things, and would rather order what’s in stock so I get it quickly. I hate waiting! However, if Lemons Never Lie goes down well, I might find myself doing just that…. let’s hope so.

Posted: 18 February 2009 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

I started to read Lemons Never Lie today. I’m about ninety pages in, so far,  and I’d reccomend it to anyone.
The book concerns the character Grofield, and there are references to previous jobs that he worked on with Parker. No doubt these are touchstones to other books by Stark. I’m looking forward to finding out for sure, as I read more of his work.
I realise now, mainly because of the sheer volume of this author’s work, that I’m going to spend a very large amount of time trying to track down everything the man wrote.

Posted: 18 February 2009 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

Lucky for you his Stark books and his Westlake Dortmunder series are famous and easy to get hold of even when they are out of print.

I have only read one Parker book featuring Grofield but i like him compared other collegues of Parker.  He is a player and interesting guy.  Looking forward to read The Parker books he is in and his own books.

Posted: 19 February 2009 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31

I’ll miss Mr. Westlake, and I’ll certainly miss John Dortmunder, my favorite thief in all of crime fiction. Sorry Bernie Rhodenbarr, Dortmunder by a nose.

Now speaking of Mr. Westlake: Last week the latest in the Hard Case Crime series was published. It’s title is THE CUTIE, which is a reprint of Westlake’s first published work under his own name (originally published as THE MERCENARIES).

From Amazon/Kindle:

The Cutie is a reprinting of Donald E. Westlake’s debut novel under his own name. (He had previously published so-called “sex novels” under a pseudonym.) As The Mercenaries (its original title), it was nominated for the Edgar Allan Poe Award for that year (it did not win, but the author would eventually win multiple times for other books).

The Cutie was always Westlake’s preferred title, and it’s actually more appropriate once you read the book. The funny thing is that the girl on the cover is not the “cutie” of the book, but she is the only one referred to as “mercenary.”

For a debut novel, Westlake’s familiar style is already apparent: a semihumorous approach, clever plotting, and an engaging mix of smart and dumb characters. (And I have to imagine that, before Westlake, nobody else was combining those things in just that way.) It’s reassuring to know that the author emerged fully formed from the literary womb. In fact, it’s only in later portions that The Cutie shows signs of inexperience — even as one character practically confesses before our eyes, Westlake tries to force us down the wrong path by having Clay continually remind us who the “only” suspects are. When the solution is finally revealed, it’s actually a relief.

On top of this, however, the author offers an ending that reinforces the notion (spoken throughout) that emotion has no place in business. I never saw it coming. Westlake fans will undoubtedly enjoy this reprinting of yet another early novel by Hard Case Crime. And fans of the author’s Dortmunder series will appreciate that Westlake already has a character stealing a car with M.D. plates.

Posted: 19 February 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

I miss Dortmunder.  I will have to read 3,4 books of his in a row while i wait the printing of Parker books.

Have you read that Westlake book set in Africa ?  It sounded real interesting.

Posted: 19 February 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31

I guess you’re talking about KAHAWA, right?

I’ve never read it, but it’s going on my list right away. I’ve been in a Westlake frenzy since his passing. By the way, the final Dortmunder novel, which was completed a few weeks prior to Westlake’s passing, will be published on July 17th. It’s title is GET REAL.

From Amazon:

GET REAL, by Donald E. Westlake

In Donald E. Westlake’s classic caper novels, the bad get better, the good slide a bit, and Lord help anyone caught between a thief named John Dortmunder and the current object of his attention.

However, being caught red-handed is inevitable in Dortmunder’s next production, when a TV producer convinces this thief and his merry gang to do a reality show that captures their next score. The producer guarantees to find a way to keep the show from being used in evidence against them. They’re dubious, but the pay is good, so they take him up on his offer.

A mock-up of the OJ bar is built in a warehouse down on Varick Street. The ground floor of that building is a big open space jumbled with vehicles used in TV world, everything from a news truck and a fire engine to a hansom cab (without the horse).

As the gang plans their next move with the cameras rolling, Dortmunder and Kelp sneak onto the roof of their new studio to organize a private enterprise. It will take an ingenious plan to outwit viewers glued to their television sets, but Dortmunder is nothing if not persistent, and he’s determined to end this shoot with money in his pockets.

Posted: 21 February 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30
jpny1025 - 19 February 2009 10:30 PM

I guess you’re talking about KAHAWA, right?

I’ve never read it, but it’s going on my list right away. I’ve been in a Westlake frenzy since his passing. By the way, the final Dortmunder novel, which was completed a few weeks prior to Westlake’s passing, will be published on July 17th. It’s title is GET REAL.

From Amazon:

GET REAL, by Donald E. Westlake

In Donald E. Westlake’s classic caper novels, the bad get better, the good slide a bit, and Lord help anyone caught between a thief named John Dortmunder and the current object of his attention.

However, being caught red-handed is inevitable in Dortmunder’s next production, when a TV producer convinces this thief and his merry gang to do a reality show that captures their next score. The producer guarantees to find a way to keep the show from being used in evidence against them. They’re dubious, but the pay is good, so they take him up on his offer.

A mock-up of the OJ bar is built in a warehouse down on Varick Street. The ground floor of that building is a big open space jumbled with vehicles used in TV world, everything from a news truck and a fire engine to a hansom cab (without the horse).

As the gang plans their next move with the cameras rolling, Dortmunder and Kelp sneak onto the roof of their new studio to organize a private enterprise. It will take an ingenious plan to outwit viewers glued to their television sets, but Dortmunder is nothing if not persistent, and he’s determined to end this shoot with money in his pockets.

As an african hardcore fan of Westlake i was excited like a little kid when i heard about Kahawa.  A fun caper set in africa by Westlake sounds fun in many ways !

I have only read the first 2 Dortmunder books so i have many left.  I hope too many of them arent out of print like the first two books.

Posted: 01 March 2009 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Ask The Parrot should be with me in a couple of days. It will be my second Stark novel. When I get around to reading it I’ll make some comments in the Currently Reading… thread.

Posted: 03 March 2009 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Just found this great blurb about Mr. Westlake:

“Donald Westlake’s Parker novels are among the small number of books I read over and over. Forget all that crap you’ve been telling yourself about War and Peace and Proust—these are the books you’ll want on that desert island.”—Lawrence Block

Posted: 03 March 2009 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

Thats one of my favorite blurbs.

I dont know if i would recommend Ask The Parrot.  Many of the later Parker books are based on what happens in the early ones characters wise.  Reading one of the last books of Parker would ruin the classic ones that are hardcore,Stark/Westlake at his best.

If you are having problem getting the new paperbacks of the first few Parker books i can send my Parker books to you for free.

Posted: 04 March 2009 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Maybe I’ll take your advice and lay off reading it for a while; at least until I’ve read the early Parker novels.

Posted: 04 March 2009 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30
Jade - 04 March 2009 09:09 AM

Maybe I’ll take your advice and lay off reading it for a while; at least until I’ve read the early Parker novels.

You wont regret that. 

The offer still stands about my second Parker books if you cant find the new paperback as fast as you want.

I was gonna give them away on bookmooch anyway to replace with the new paperbacks.

Posted: 04 March 2009 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Parker - 04 March 2009 09:14 AM
Jade - 04 March 2009 09:09 AM

You wont regret that. 

The offer still stands about my second Parker books if you cant find the new paperback as fast as you want.

I was gonna give them away on bookmooch anyway to replace with the new paperbacks.

I’d be more than happy; but at least let me pay for the postage. It would be a treat to read them, and I can always return them to you after, so you could still give them away on Bookmooch (I have no idea what that beast is, so I’ll have to search online in a while!). Thanks for the kind offer.

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

When you’re finished with it (them) send me one.  I’ll make sure it gets back to Parker.
Anyone else wishes to peruse a book mentioned here or anywhere else I’d be happy send you my copy.
Start a Napster for book sharing.

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4