Elmore Leonard and the Comic Novel
Posted: 11 July 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-21

Just recently, after rewatching “Jackie Brown,” I picked up The Switch and read it. You can read my review over at my blog: (http://scottdparker.blogspot.com/2008/07/book-review-switch-by-elmore-leonard.html)

Here’s my question: when did Leonard start writing the funnier, hipper crime stories a la Get Shorty and Out of Sight?

The assumption for someone like me (only coming to Leonard in the last decade) is that EL has *always* written like this. He hasn’t. I’m just wondering if there is a distinctive shift or if those books (and their movies) put a certain emphasis on EL that’s not entirely true. For example, my favorite band is Chicago. My favorite songs by them are not ballads but that’s what the general public only thinks of when they think about Chicago. Understand?

Thanks in advance.

~Scott

Posted: 11 July 2008 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Beginning with 52 Pick-Up, Swag, and Unknown Man.

In 52, the main kidnaper calls to say pay us or we’ll kill your girlfriend and Harry says, “Bag your ass.” Off the top of my head, that’s the turning point.

Posted: 11 July 2008 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Mr. Leonard’s true voice really came to being with 52 PICK-UP.  LACRIMATTY is 100% correct.  I recently read THE BIG BOUNCE, THE MOONSHINE WAR, and MR. MAJESTYK.  They all have the flashes of greatness Mr. Leonard delivers since 52 PICK-UP.

The most recent novel I have read again is SPLIT IMAGES (1981) and I couldn’t believe how violent and funny it was.  It is my favorite at this time.  I am now reading CITY PRIMEVAL (1980) and I never realized that is was that funny.  IMPRESSIONS OF MURDER, again, is a classic piece of non-fiction Elmore Leonard that captures the absurdity of life in crime.  Read an abridged version of it called CUTTING DEALS.

SIDE NOTE:  I wish Mr. Leonard wasn’t required to change all the names between those two classic Detroit cop books.  These characters are very special.  The names changed, but not the personalities.  SPLIT IMAGES rocks!

Posted: 11 July 2008 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

not 100%
in the earliest westerns
there is a social quality
with a humorous slant
the snappy rejoinder
bag your ass
typical
jacks and franks
alike

Posted: 12 July 2008 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

Forty Lashes Less One (1972) is a comedy through & through.

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 14 July 2008 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-07-02

Robb,

Hope you are enjoying City Primeval. I am re-reading it for 5th or 6th time. Pound for pound, I believe City Prime and Swag are Elmore’s crowning achievements. I also am big fan of Split Images, The Switch, 52 Pick-Up and Unknown Man #89. I take nothing away from Get Shorty, Glitz, LaBrava, Cat Chaser, but in my opinion, the Detroit novels from ‘74 to ‘81 are vintage Elmore. Perfect blend of humor and menace. I would also throw Touch into the mix. Even though it was published in late 80’s, it was written in ‘77 or so. A different kind of book from Elmore, but trademark dialogue and humor are there. I don’t know how he does it, but Elmore can get you to almost root for Clement Mansell to come out ok in the end. Just a brilliant book from cover to cover.

Posted: 14 July 2008 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

74 - 81
Detroit Novels

Fifty-Two Pickup
Swag
Unknown Man No. 89
Touch (published in ‘87, written in ‘77)
The Switch
City Primeval
Split Images

Straw,

Can it get better than this?  I don’t think so.  You are correct.  I would consider all them classics except for TOUCH.  I don’t know.  I will read it again.

The OUT OF SIGHT - CUBA LIBRE - BE COOL - PAGAN BABIES - TISHOMINGO BLUES roll is hard to beat.  BE COOL is a good book.

Back to back books, PAGAN BABIES - TISHOMINGO BLUES, is a career in itself.  STICK - LABRAVA - GLITZ might be the gold standard.

Posted: 14 July 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-07-02

You nailed it Robb. I believe, you have listed the Murderer’s Row of Elmore’s books. Good insight on the other non-Detroit books. I still believe non-Detroit Elmore is head and shoulders better than anything in crime fiction, but there is something about the Detroit books, that elevates them to another level. Freaky Deaky (‘88) has to be in the discussion as well. Freaky Deaky seems to bridge gap between the ‘74-‘81 run of Detroit books and the slightly more cinematic books that follow (i.e. Get Shorty, Be Cool, Pronto, Max Bob, etc.). I would give Touch another look when you have time. It doesn’t follow the typical pattern, but has a lot to offer. Bill Hill is great character.

Posted: 14 July 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

you boys are the heavenly choir
this temporal rift you describe
the devine
worthy of note
the juxta of bandits
the publication of touch
freaky deaky