1 2 > 
1 of 2
Coolest Lines
Posted: 26 February 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Andy—in the RenCen bar after Philip struck out and just before Foley shows up—tells Karen Sisco about the ad campaign he and his buddies pitched that day.

Karen: “Really, Andy, who gives a shit?”

Posted: 26 February 2007 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

In Max Bob Sheriff Givens says “how’s a one legged man do the Texas Two-Step?

Posted: 26 February 2007 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29

Marshall Sisco to Ray Nicolette, dressed in an FBI t-shirt: “You ever wear one says ‘UNDERCOVER?’”

Posted: 26 February 2007 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

thats a good laugh

Posted: 27 February 2007 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

And almost every chapter end line is cool - and makes you want to keep reading. Just picking up books at random, I get, from Freaky Deaky, the cop Chris Mankowski coming back to Woody Ricks house and talking to Donnell:

“How do you work it? He sends you out to buy a new limo, you keep the change?”
Donnell’s brows raised, fun in his eyes, “Shit, it won’t take you no time.”

Was it Eric Clapton who said, don’t listen to the notes I play, listen to the ones I leave out? That’s Elmore Leonard writing, it isn’t the words he uses, it’s the ones he leaves out.

Posted: 27 February 2007 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

I’m quoting from memory here, because I don’t have my EL collection at hand, & I’m thinking of Teddy Magyk on the subject of necrophilia: ‘These old ladies want it, I’m just satisfying their need. But they can’t be too choosy about when they get it.’

I should add that when I first read this line, 23 years ago now, it changed everything; in my mind EL went from being an interesting American crimewriter to being one of the most important novelists of the 20th century. Just because of this one line; think about it…

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 03 March 2007 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29

Joe LaBrava to Buck Torres, talking about Richard Nobles: “You have to be smart to be an actor?”

I see this as Elmore—many bad movie versions of his books behind him in 1983, many less than wonderful experiences with hollywood under his belt—using Joe LaBrava to give voice to his personal perspective. Tersely, and with humor, of course.

Posted: 03 March 2007 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

Last Stand at Saber River
Cable moved the Walker from Duane to Vern.
“How does it look now”
Vern seemed to smile.
“There’s seven miles of nerve between pointing a gun and pulling the trigger”

http://www.helium.com/tm/201674

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-03-21

Ive just re-read Freaky Deaky.

“If he was any dumber hed have to be watered twice a week”

Apologies if not word perfect.

Posted: 17 November 2007 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-11-16

I like Riding the Rap a lot, and I like when Louis Lewis is ruminating and recalls he “had on some hip-hop, Digable Planets,” because I was already loving Lewis and I love Digable Planets, so I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. I heard if there’s a musical reference in his books, EL’s probably a fan, but I don’t know, I just can’t picture Mr. Leonard listening to DP.

I rarely got through a page without smiling in RTP. Off the top of my head… Can’t remember this girl’s name, and this isn’t verbatim but something along the lines of…

(The girl said,) “Acid, fortune tellers, huggers; you’re into some weird shit, huh?”

(Raylan said,) “It’s different.”

LACrimAtty - 03 March 2007 09:20 PM

Joe LaBrava to Buck Torres, talking about Richard Nobles: “You have to be smart to be an actor?”

I see this as Elmore—many bad movie versions of his books behind him in 1983, many less than wonderful experiences with hollywood under his belt—using Joe LaBrava to give voice to his personal perspective. Tersely, and with humor, of course.

It’s not the only time Joe shares some Elmore outlook. There’s a two page LaBrava excerpt I typed up when I finished that book because, well I just love it, and I’m sure Leonard had writing on his mind when he was writing it (it’s about photography, obviously). I could paste the whole thing, but in the midst of it is this:

“I heard one guy at the gallery—it was his wife or somebody who said I was dispossessed, unassimilated, and the guy said, ‘I think he takes pictures to make a buck, and anything else is fringe.’ I would’ve kissed the guy, but it might’ve ruined his perspective.”

Jean Shaw said, studying a print, “They try to pose, and not knowing how they reveal themselves.”

He liked that. That wasn’t bad.

“Your style is the absence of style. Would you say?”

He said, “No tricky angles,” because he didn’t know if he had a style or not. “I’m not good at tricky angles.”

Posted: 19 November 2007 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Good stuff.  Keep it coming.

Posted: 02 December 2007 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-11-16

(Ordell) Saying it was like a garage sale with hand grenades and rockets and shit.

This one might be my all-time favorite, at least until I come across a better one. Yeah, that’s right, I’m only now reading Rum Punch. But the great thing is, I still have 25 or so Elmore Leonard novels I haven’t read yet. I like to read them slow, take my time, digest them.

Posted: 06 December 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29

Harry Mitchell on the phone with Alan Raimey in 52 Pick-Up, responding to threats to ruin his life:

“Bag your ass.”

Posted: 06 December 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29

“De Boya’s reaction: nothing. Like a statue with clothes on.”

Cat Chaser

In books with Latin American characters, Elmore always has them stone-faced. The most classic of all: Franklin de Dios.

Posted: 06 December 2007 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

CITY PRIMEVAL:  HIGH NOON IN DETROIT

__________said, “I don’t believe it . . . what did you kill me for?”

This is still my favorite line from one of the best Elmore Leonard novels.

Posted: 06 December 2007 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-04-05

To Bill_1through4: Envy your future reading. That’s the way I read EL,too. And then I pick another off the shelf and start over.  I’ve even ordered some old favorites for my new Kindle.

1 2 > 
1 of 2