dogs
and
EDGAR ALLEN POE

Posted: 23 May 2007 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

It’s true, even that dog in Tishamingo Blues gets it. It’s something most writers are warned to stay away from by publishers. I never would have really noticed, but last week I got a dog. Changes my whole view.

If the publishers are agin it, well I change my mind, I’m for it. Bring ‘em on, kick ‘em to death.

It’s like the discussion we had about research assistants (& guitar technicians): if Robert B. Parker is agin it, I’m for it.

(Though I have to say I’m a dog-owner myself. Mine’s called Boudine, which is a kind of sausage, so naturally enough she’s a dachshund, sister of the one smiling in my icon. I think if you spend much of your life sitting round reading, a dog is an essential accessory, something to keep you in touch with the living world going on around you. Something that doesn’t interrupt.)

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 25 May 2007 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

Just back from a quick stroll round the Net. One thing I was doing was looking round for a Harry Dean Stanton site. Well, there isn’t one. There’s what you might call a potential site, an address called Rotten Tomatoes where you can start your own forum about anyone you want, but Harry Dean’s forum has only 1 member & zero posts.

Of course this only confirms a feeling that he’s my kind of guy. If it was 1980 & you were 16 & confessed an admiration for an actor called Harry Dean Stanton you’d definitely get called a pseud. As it is you just have to think of him as a cult actor.

So which is his best film? I guess it’d have to be a toss-up between The Missouri Breaks (because it’s a seriously great movie) & Cool Hand Luke (because he not only ‘acts’ [you always have to use scare quotes with ‘cult’ figures] but he sings & plays guitar [tho’ it’s probably dubbed. Not the singing - he has a very fine voice]). An outsider would be The Green Mile, a Big House picture where Harry Dean plays a trusty who has the role of the condemned man every time the guards do a rehearsal for an execution (the chair). You have to be a serious HDS pesud even to notice he’s in the film, that’s how low-key he is.

I suppose many would name Repo Man which I saw & enjoyed but now can’t remember anything about. I’d love to find a way of hearing his band.

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 26 May 2007 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Repo Man is okay, but I’ve got to go with Missouri Breaks.

Posted: 26 May 2007 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

What about Straight Time?

< 1 2
2 of 2