Elmore Non Fiction Book?
Posted: 29 June 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

If we combine Robb’s finds with what we already have in the non-fiction section of this site with the piece Elmore is working on now (which is growing in length by the day) we may have enough for a book of his writings.  Elmore may be interested.  Whether a major publisher would be interested is another matter.  But this would not be a major publisher book, more like a university press book.  Since Elmore is more inclined to write novels than an autobiography, this is about as close as we might come.  With this new piece (scheduled to be published around May of next year, and Impressions of Murder and maybe even the ten rules, it would be a very worthwhile project, and I am going to pursue it.

Posted: 29 June 2008 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Gregg,

Obviously, I really believe in that idea.  These are treasures.

I have now broken the non-fiction list into categories.  The sub-titles are not perfect.  Any suggestions, John?  Son slater, does one piece fit better in one category or another.  I don’t know.  It is a start.

The unpublished Elmore Leonard sounds great:  The Best of the Non-Fiction, the new AARP piece, “The Bull Ring at Blisston”, “Bob’s last message: Bermuda Triangle, Baloney”, “Rebel on the Run”, and . . .

Robb: Did you ever see Elmore’s unpublished Western short story, “Rebel on the Run?”

No.  I have not seen that unpublished short story.  Yes.  I would love to see it.  I will probably have two more non-fiction pieces by the end of the week.  What do you say?  Christmas in July?

Posted: 01 July 2008 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Great work, Robb. Elmore owes you one. So do we.

I’d love to read Elmore’s Dancing Bear piece, the only one listed I don’t think I’ve seen. That book, along with The Wrong Case and especially The Last Good Kiss, all by James Crumley, are three of my favorite books.

Kiss has a terrific first sentence. As Harry Zimm would say, it’s a grabber.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0394759893/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link  (then hit “excerpt”)

Posted: 28 July 2008 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Gregg Sutter - 29 June 2008 05:49 PM

If we combine Robb’s finds with what we already have in the non-fiction section of this site with the piece Elmore is working on now (which is growing in length by the day) we may have enough for a book of his writings.  Elmore may be interested.  Whether a major publisher would be interested is another matter.  But this would not be a major publisher book, more like a university press book.  Since Elmore is more inclined to write novels than an autobiography, this is about as close as we might come.  With this new piece (scheduled to be published around May of next year, and Impressions of Murder and maybe even the ten rules, it would be a very worthwhile project, and I am going to pursue it.

A fantastic idea. A compilation that I think all EL readers would get a great kick out of.
I look forward to hearing more in the coming months.

Posted: 13 November 2008 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Gregg,

Any further news on this? are you still pursuing it?

Look forward to hearing more…

Posted: 13 November 2008 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Elmore’s writing a book and that’s all I have time for now.  A Non-Fiction book is still on my mind, along with his unpublished stories.  I will only discuss a retrospective exhibition and/or literary conference when there is something concrete.  Don’t worry.  You’ll be the first to know.

Posted: 15 November 2008 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08
Gregg Sutter - 13 November 2008 05:17 PM

Elmore’s writing a book and that’s all I have time for now.  A Non-Fiction book is still on my mind, along with his unpublished stories.  I will only discuss a retrospective exhibition and/or literary conference when there is something concrete.  Don’t worry.  You’ll be the first to know.

Elmore’s writing a book?  ROAD DOGS went to the publishers this summer.  Can this be another book?

When does the non-fiction AARP article get published?

Posted: 17 November 2008 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04
Robb - 15 November 2008 11:56 AM
Gregg Sutter - 13 November 2008 05:17 PM

Elmore’s writing a book?  ROAD DOGS went to the publishers this summer.  Can this be another book?

When does the non-fiction AARP article get published?

Any news Gregg?
To echo Robb’s words… what’s this new book? any info? just a snippet of info, maybe?

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

See new thread.

http://www.elmoreleonard.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/459/