< 1 2
2 of 2
How Can You Pick a Favorite?
Posted: 16 January 2007 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

The Switch was written in 1978.  Elmore figures he got the kidnap idea from the O Henry story, Ransom of Red Chief

Ruthless People came out in 1986.  The writer, Dale Launer, asked Elmore if he copied the movie Ruthless People in The Switch, apparently ignorant that the book had come out eight years earlier. 

Whether Launer’s idea came from Ransom of Red Chief or, despite his protest, he had himself pilfered The Switch is not known.  The kidnap idea of Ruthless People bears more resemblance to Elmore Leonard than O Henry.

In any event, Ruthless People and it’s plot twist killed a movie version of The Switch.  Diane Keaton was lined up to play Mickey, the kidnapped Bloomfield Village tennis mom.

Here’s another example where proof, or at least a specific accusation is made.  Elmore reports that Barry Sonnenfeld told him that Joel Silver, producer of Lethal Weapon II, admitted to Barry that he stole the opening from Freaky Deaky for the explosing toilet scene in Lethal Weapon II.

Posted: 17 January 2007 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
Gregg Sutter - 16 January 2007 09:18 PM

Joel Silver, producer of Lethal Weapon II, admitted to Barry that he stole the opening from Freaky Deaky for the explosing toilet scene in Lethal Weapon II.

Let’s hope that doesn’t stop Charles Matthau from using the scene to open the movie Freaky Deaky. It’s such a great scene.

Posted: 19 January 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

I mention STICK and SWAG too often, but they are classics.

Posted: 21 November 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

I think John summed it up best, when he said it depends on his mood. That’s true with me too. I can pick a few favourites, but it all depends on frame of mind.

Posted: 21 November 2008 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-07-30

Like a lot of other people, my favourite Elmore Leonard book depends on my mood.
As for right now, my favourite would have to The Switch.

< 1 2
2 of 2