The Bounty Hunters
Posted: 29 January 2007 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

If you are going to talk about a specific book, start a new topic.

Here is what appears to be a cover from The Bounty Hunters which Son Slater was having trouble posting.

Image Attachments
The Bounty Hunters.jpg

Posted: 29 January 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

I was in fact trying to post this image at the thread relating to cover art, I still don’t know why I couldn’t and the discussion of this book was in the context of the messier thread that I had started relating to the preoccupation of fixated folk and what to call such endeavors such as reading all the novels in chronological order.
Oh well the additional thread may help warp the woof of a new suit I am trying on at the moment.
OK
News Flash the suit fits
check out article
Flash New EL article

http://www.helium.com/tm/128482/notion-world-needs-president

Posted: 10 February 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-02-10

As per the Helium article,

I too would like to heartily endorse the nomination of Mr. Leonard as the first President of the World.

And as its actually my birthday today I see no reason why I shouldn’t get my own way.

35, going on 14.

Thank you.

Posted: 11 February 2007 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20
Doc Farrell - 10 February 2007 03:25 PM

going on 14.

Welcome to the Forum Doc, happy birthday and thanks for seconding the motion
Have you read The Bounty Hunters? (1953) Us 14 year old guys love this early Leonard western
Elmore’s first published novel, finds Dave Flynn sitting in a barber’s chair in Contention Arizona 1876 (see Maximum Bob 1991)
This little knot of a story looks at the way authority devolves downward from ignorance and meets true knowledge from the ground up. Dave is a contract scout and Civil War vet. His knowledge is very specific, shared with the people of the land, the families that have lived in these parts for many years, the Mexicans and the Apache, . He’s got an old sidekick named Madora and is sent on a mission with a young Lt. Bowers, R.D. Bowers, (the name of the Chevrolet dealership on Telegraph Rd. in Detroit where Frank Ryan works at the start of Swag. (1976) called Red Bowers Chevrolet, see “Touchstones” thread)
The tightly wound knot rushes to a conclusion and is over too soon

Posted: 12 February 2007 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-02-10

I just got the collected Western short stories but I can’t open it yet because I have to finish Cat Chaser and Valdez is Coming. Once I’ve finished them I’ll be on the trail.
I also picked up a new Irish title called How The Irish Won the West, which is a tad triumphalist but looks like a great read (i’m irish).
I love this site and just wanted to post something to acknowledge this.
look forward to following all the latest news.
all the best,
Des.

Posted: 14 February 2007 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

Hey Doc consider this idea. when you clear the decks on all other required reading before you now get the big book of western stories and grab a copy of Bounty Hunters and figure out which was published first and begin reading in chronologic order. This will give you time and space with which to appreciate the vast spaces winding their way through the annals of time.
I believe we got the name for the completion of such a task as a Leonard Complex (see Messier for Elmore thread)

Posted: 27 April 2007 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

The Bounty Hunters 1953
Wild West, what made it so wild?
Policy & the Line
In the turmoil of the 30 years of history
from the time of the Gadsden Purchase in 1853
to the telling of this simple story
in a time shortly after the Civil War.
The story of what took place below the line in Mexico
was decided by governments far away in Washington and Mexico City.
Moving this line made certain changes necessary,
in truth the very essence of the War Between the States,
the essential something that was worth fighting and dying for,
and to this day,
it don’t change a thing if ya ain’t got that swing,
the abolition of slavery here,
an issue that had been decided in Europe 30 years before.
As though issued to celebrate 100 years of history
the fateful purchase
that tipped the balance in the questions of human dignity and freedom.
Civil War Veterans
Kids
Police Procedures
Bad guy- Frank Rellis
Heroes- Red Bowers & Dave gets the girl
The introduction to a series of stories
dedicated to the issues of racism
that ends with Hombre begins here
with the Noble Savages
and the Mexican Nation

Posted: 01 May 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-04-30

Got a question about the Novels ident of the first [hardcover] edition, which says:

Publisher: Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1953
Edition:Hardcover
Format: First Edition

.....All the booksellers say that the Ballantine paperback was 1953 (which would then become the copyright date) but that the Houghton Mifflin hardcover was published in 1954 (which date would normally appear on their title page).

I am beginning to question the accuracy of the Novels dates (see my posts re Law at Randado). Anyone got a first hardcover of Bounty Hunter from 1953?

Posted: 01 May 2007 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

I pulled my copies. Here’s the deal:

1st edition paperback: copyright 1953, then “in association with Ballantine Books, Inc, Houghton Mifflin Company Boston, 1954,” presumably referring to the publication date. Then on a separate page: “A hardbound edition of this book, priced at $2.00, may be obtained at your local bookstore.”

1st edition hardcover: copyright 1953, then “1954 Houghton Mifflin Company Boston,” presumably referring to the publication date. Then also there’s a blurb that reads, “This new book published initially in two editions by Houghton Mifflin Company…” Below that, in a second paragraph, it says, “This simultaneous publication makes new books widely available at low prices, and we believe that it is an important development in American publishing.” (emphasis added)

So it looks like the book was finished and copyrighted in ‘53, but not published until the following year. And when that happened, the book came out in paper and hardcover at the same time.

Posted: 17 May 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

Brilliant
Brilliant
Brilliant
The forum unlocks another mystery
about history yet not
“This simultaneous publication makes
new books widely available at low prices,