Fellini & Elmore
Posted: 04 March 2007 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Interviewer to Fellini: Here, then, is one of those eternal questions that critics are always asking. Don’t you care whether your audience ‘understands’ your intentions? You must have thought about this question of the relation of artist to audience.

Fellini: How can I worry about something completely unknown? Anyway, what does that word ‘audience’ mean? Who are they? It is a monster without any collective conscience or identity, and so it is impossible to be conditioned by their wants. If you pay attention to all that, you put yourself in a very humiliating and subservient position: that of slave to a very mysterious boss, a boss who doesn’t know what he wants. It’s the worst position for a man to find himself in, that of serving. It is up to you, as an artist, to be the boss…I just say something that I like to say…

My brilliant daughter read this in school and wrote to say she saw similarities between it and Elmore’s attitude.

In this vein, Elmore has said, “my purpose is to entertain and please myself. I feel that if I am entertained, then there will be enough other readers who will be entertained too.”

Elmore devotees know well Elmore’s attitude toward screenwriting—“nothing but work,” trying to please clueless studio suits (as Fellini says, “a very humiliating and subservient position…slave to a very mysterious boss, a boss who doesn’t know what he wants”)—and his attitude toward writing his novels: “I look at the clock and see it’s 3 o’clock and think, ‘hey, good, I’ve got three more hours.’ and then I think, ‘I must have the best job in the world.’”

Cross-genre support here for the fact that great minds do think, and approach their art, in like manner.

Posted: 04 March 2007 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Francis Ford Coppola said something like, you start out with a question - making the movie is trying to find the answer… now you try and tell that to a financier.

It seems that Elmore Leonard starts out with characters and they are the question.

The problem with most movies, though, is they’re all hooptedoodle, they’re all the director sticking his nose in, telling you how cool they are all the time, drawing attention to the camera with all kinds of tricks. There should be a ten rules of movie making. It won’t work, of course, because of that boss who doesn’t know what he wants, so it’s a constant attempt to please him. The only film maker who lets his characters tell the story the way Elmore Leonard does is John Sayles, and he’s pretty obscure these days.

Posted: 08 March 2007 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

With the exception of ‘Dune’ I would put David Lynch in that category as well.