Elmore and John Dillinger
Posted: 02 July 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20

The promotion of the “Public Enemies” movie got me to thinking…can anyone recall the number of EL novels that have a Dillinger reference?

The Hot Kid obviously. I’m trying to think of the others. I think Road Dogs had one, too.

Anyway, it looks like a good flick.

Posted: 03 July 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-03-02

Road Dogs does have a reference, in the context of talking about previous famous ban-robbers, Hot Kid obviously. Cant immediately think of any others.
Public Enemies is a great movie even if it does throw historical accuracy out of the window in the first five minutes, Depp is fantastic as Dillinger, its beautifully shot in Digital HD by director Michael Mann and the gun fights/ robberies are thrillingly realistic.

Posted: 04 July 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-04-18

The spirit of the depression era bank robbers appear in Elmore’s novels, notably; Bobby Shy/UNKNOWN MAN #89, Clement Mansell, The
Oklahoma Wildman, in CITY PRIMEVAL, Ernest Stickley, jr./SWAG and STICK…I’m sure there are lots more examples, but those come off
the top of my head.

“Public Enemies” was a little irritating.  Michael Mann took pains to shoot scenes where actual events took place like Little Bohemia
Lodge and Crown Point Jail, which is great.  However, the film proceeds to twist the historical record of events that were dramatic enough
in itself and should have been filmed accordingly.  Michael Mann also stayed away from the controversy around Dillinger’s death, something
I thought the direstor would have tackled in some respect.