Where Do Elmore’s Ideas Come From?
Posted: 25 June 2008 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Elmore just finished revisions to Road Dogs and it is off to the publisher.  He received an offer from the AARP to write a 1500 word piece on any topic he wanted.  He chose to answer his own question: where do my ideas come from?  He has so much to draw from, that the 1500, more like 2000 words are packed with gems.  Elmore works very hard on these short pieces.  It’ll be entertaining.

So, I’m asking everybody out there in Elmore Land to discuss what you think are his best ideas and where you think they came from.

Posted: 25 June 2008 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

The Hollywood backside in GET SHORTY is classic.  This came from his experience with LABRAVA. 

I assume that he got a lot of ideas from his Hollywood experiences.

Speaking of LABRAVA, the Hollywood starlet is wicked.  I love it.

The movie business in STICK is great—“Shuck and Jive”.

The AA scenes in UNKNOWN MAN have been mentioned in other posts.  That comes from real life.  They are great.

By the way, that is a great picture on the weblog.

AND, DID YOU WRITE THAT WE ARE GETTING A NOVEL AND A SHORT PIECE?  That is great news.

Posted: 26 June 2008 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2008-03-18

“Where do you get your ideas?” An age-old question. First time I saw it was an Stephen King interview. But I’d thought it myself, I’m sure, over the years and years of reading that began for me at 5.

When you’re young and have that impulse to create, to write because you’re not crafty enough with your hands to paint, you reflect what you’re reading (I was less than a “fair hand” with a brush, average, good at composition but couldn’t etch a straight line to save my life). Comics, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard were my sources so fantasy worlds or post-apocalyptic views courtesy of “The Twilight Zone” television show were the dimensions my muse called home. Then Conan Doyle before High School where students were really allowed to write found me all over the place, Westerns and then King and thrillers by the likes of Ludlum et al, thus my goal to write a best-seller and every genre when I somehow got it into my head I could write.

Long ago I discovered that answer, at least the first part of it.

Write what you know. You have to live your own life to get there, not just read books. Drink in the real world. Love, loss. Failure, success.

Most of us know more than we think. You just relax and your Muse will give you a glimpse of all those thin-sliced dimensions where alternate realities where really, all you do is just watch what’s going on and then put it down on paper, what you see.

Second part though, I thought I knew but really only knew a part of it.

Know the craft. Talent is good, skill is better. But skill is more than characters, plot and pacing. Read about “writing” but really, that’s only gimmicks. The “craft” is all those things writing, literature; where you come from and where you’re going. History, grammer…or the lack thereof. Style, voice. But the skill to know those are not the same as skill. The craft.

I also learned long ago that anyone can write: We all have a story inside us, it’s how you express it that gives you doubts. Relax, just say it. Muse. Then polish it. Skill.

Only a couple years or so ago did I learn that Mr. L actually used skill, legitimate literary techniques with names (I’m sure he’ll deny it - even Hemingway said, “Sometimes a mountain is only a God-damned mountain). While I had always admired and slathered over his words (Muse), I’d never really seen him as something other than a pulp master (skill). Even than does take some skill, but what he does…

I like to think I’m “more than a fair hand” with a pen (okay, computer keys). But to be in the polished realm of a Leonard or Hemingway or Wells or Coleridge or Swift or Shakespeare.

Where do they get their ideas?

Life.

But it’s not the ideas - it’s how you express them.

crimepays.wordpress.com

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

When people asked him where he got his ideas, Harlan Ellison used to say, “Poughkeepsie.”

With Elmore Leonard it’s characters. Gregg showed him a picture in the newspaper of a young US marshall with a shotgun on her hip and eventually that became Karen Sisco. There was an article in the paper about two middle-aged white guys who pulled armed robberies in a polite and professional manner and after a huge amount of work it became SWAG.

Francis Ford Coppola says that the idea is the question and making the movie is trying to find the answer. Then he gives the punchline, “You try telling that to the money guys.”

It works better for books. The idea is the question. It may start with a small newspaper article and the question, “What could have led to that?” or “What kind of people would end up like that?” It may take ten or twelve or fifty or two hundred more little articles to get close enough to the character to start to find an answer.

Elmore Leonard gets his ideas from Gregg. wink

Posted: 27 June 2008 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

The gangsters of the 1930s had a huge influence on Elmore Leonard.

Check out this article in Life from 1990, “Crime Does Pay.”

This is 15 years before THE HOT KID.

Posted: 28 June 2008 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

I think he may have gotten some of his ideas for Cuba Libre from Willy Remembers.

Posted: 25 May 2009 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

Life Lessons: Mystery Solved
By Elmore Leonard
“Making It Up As I Go Along”
AARP Magazine July/August 2009

Crime-novel fans, take note: a bestselling author tells how he gets ideas.

Note: All articles from the magazine do not necessarily appear online. Look for hyperlinks below to identify and access articles that are available online. Check back often for new content.

A new novel and a new non-fiction piece soon!!!!

Image Attachments
JA09-toc.jpg