Character versus Plot in “Honey’s Room”?
Posted: 10 June 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

What do you pundits think of this argument?

It’s at this point, however, that the tightly woven, high-speed plot line becomes mired in self-indulgent character study and excessive—albeit witty—dialogue. Potentially fertile plot lines involving black-market meat sales and the culture within American-based POW camps take a back seat to decidedly more whimsical scenarios regarding Deal’s sexually charged relationships with Webster and handsome German POW Jurgen Schrenk, and Nazi sympathizer Schoen’s ludicrous plot to assassinate President Franklin Roosevelt. The action comes to a fitting climax up in Honey’s apartment, where some people lose their clothes, and others lose their lives.

Posted: 10 June 2007 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

I think if my name were Paul Goat Allen I’d go by Paul Allen, or maybe Paul G. Allen; I can’t imagine volunteering the Goat part.

You wonder what his parents were thinking. Paul Eagle Allen maybe, or Paul Jaguar Allen. But Paul Goat Allen? Maybe he was he born with gray chin fuzz…

So you wonder about this guy’s judgment before you read the first word of the review. Not to mention what he went through from 1st grade on and the effect it had on him . (“Hey goat-boy, gonna eat that tin can?”)

That said, we turn to his argument that Elmore should have gone deep into a black market beef riff instead of focusing on Honey’s sexuality vis a vis the two male leads. Hmmm…right. I know I’d rather hear about draining cow blood and spoilage problems than about Honey’s hot bod. Who wouldn’t?

My advice, Goat Boy, is don’t read Pagan Babies. Terry Dunn eats goat en brochette and likes it, but all the little bones in it piss him off.

Posted: 10 June 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

Whereabouts is the ‘Tightly woven high-speed plot line’ in Honey’s Room?

Is this guy really called Paul Goat Allen? Surely his name counts in his favor even if his writing doesn’t. I’m sure everyone remembers Johnny Cash’s Boy named Sue.

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 11 June 2007 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
djones - 10 June 2007 01:10 PM

Whereabouts is the ‘Tightly woven high-speed plot line’ in Honey’s Room?

Good question. The slow, almost casual pace of the book is exactly the same as Carl’s casual pace, maybe he’ll go up to Detroit and look for these escape POWs sometime. It’s the perfect pace for people going through the motions, waiting for a war that’s already over to be officially ended.

LACrimm is exactly right, Honey is a lot more interesting than any black market beef story could possibly be.