‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4
Is Elmore a Literary or Genre Writer?
Posted: 13 April 2007 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

Anybody thinking about the Genre issue might not want to miss this article in Wired online:

http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/news/2007/04/scifighetto_0412

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 13 April 2007 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

I read yesterday that 19 books a day are published in the US and 24 a day in the UK. Probably a couple more a day from Canada and Australia. It’s impossible to keep track and I can see how people need some kind of categorizing system. Still, I always worry that I’m missing a lot of good books.

I’ve often been disappointed, though, by so-called literary writers “slumming” in genres.

Posted: 17 April 2007 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-04

It seems clear from the Wired article about sci-fi writers (and from other remarks made on this thread) that this genre/literary business boils down to just a marketing strategy. You start off in Genre, where you hope to have a ready-made readership, & you make the transition later to Literary so that all your old books stay in print. Wuz wrong with that, as Miles would say, in his voice.

Except there’s this interesting piece from Sunday’s NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/magazine/15wwlnidealab.t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

I’m wondering if Gregg would supply some figures. Like how many copies of each novel, starting with 52 Pick-Up, have been sold in the U.S. in, say, the first 12 months after publication. (I feel I ought to add, I’m not being frivolous about this.)

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
djones - 17 April 2007 02:21 PM

It seems clear from the Wired article about sci-fi writers (and from other remarks made on this thread) that this genre/literary business boils down to just a marketing strategy.

I think a couple of things are getting thrown together here. “Literary” isn’t the same as “academic,” although academics sure act like they own it. Something can only be categorized by academics in retrospect because that’s what they do, they study what went before. So, when a writer is writing and publishing, it’s one thing and later, when they finally catch up, the academics can say, ‘oh right, that’s not just whatever that anybody can understand… it’s literary, and it’s in our domain. And they’re wrong a lot.

The problem is that there’s nothing measurable or quantifiable (I don’t know if those are words) in art. That’s what leads to all this public masturbation. Thankfully, only a couple of us are even remotely interested.

Now, of course, it’s a marketing strategy, what with so many books being published a day, no one can be expected to look at everything. People seem to naturally categorize to narrow down the decision making.

I think it’s interesting that no genre description ever appears on the cover of an Elmore Leonard novel. At least not the ones I’m looking at right now. I don’t know if this was the case earlier in his career when he didn’t have as much input in the final product.

But, if you’re suggesting that Elmore Leonard novels have become so popular by some kind of Cumulative Advantage, as the article says, I’d have to say that the slow and steady increase in popularity over forty novels is entirely different than a manufactured pop music “sensation.” Even if that manufacturing is hit and miss, the intention is always the same - instant success. That’s just not the model the publishing industry had when Elmore Leonard started (though, it may be closer to that now).

As the article said, you’d think they could manufacture another Norah Jones. The thing about a ““manufactured” Elmore Leonard is that forty years of consistently great writing would have to become part of the equation.

But there were some interesting things in the article, like:

“Our desire to believe in an orderly universe leads us to interpret the uncertainty we feel about the future as nothing but a consequence of our current state of ignorance, to be dispelled by greater knowledge or better analysis. But even a modest amount of randomness can play havoc with our intuitions.”

It is possible that we’ll just never know.

Posted: 04 May 2007 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-04-30
Gregg Sutter - 12 February 2007 04:06 PM

Name calling will simply not be tolerated on the Dutch Forum.  We have some quality discussions and debates going on here and there is absolutely no need to be abusive.  I won’t allow it to continue.

Gosh that is funny… It’s great that Leonard writes like real people talk, but not Ok for real people to talk like real people.

Posted: 04 May 2007 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-04

We don’t go shooting each other in the head either. Look at it this way: Gregg’s the Man.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2007 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-04-30

Well I guess he was quite right to call you out, then. Shame on you.

‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4