Ken Bruen
Posted: 01 October 2009 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

Has anyone here read Ken Bruen’s books ?  His Jack Taylor series ?

He reminds me off EL, great dialogue,quirky,sly humour,great characters.  One of the best authors i have read that is active today who can be hard-boiled and be funny.

His series might be bleak like a Jim Thompson but dialogue,quirky humour i think of EL.

His first book in that series Guards he did reference to Elmore Leonard and Be Cool.  The main character is a big reader and there is a bit literary references of authors i think means something to Bruen.

Posted: 02 October 2009 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

2010 may be the year Ken Bruen breaks really wide. There will be three movies coming out based on his books; London Bouevard with Colin Farrell directed by William Monoghan who wrote the script for The Departed; Once Were Cops; and Blitz with Jason Statham. There’s also going to be a 13-part Irish TV show based on the Jack Taylor books.

And, he gives me great blurbs, so of course I want his name out there as much as possible wink.

Posted: 03 October 2009 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

Yeah i saw that.  I dont care how good they will be or bad, they make his books even more famous. 

Plus he is pretty big now in both UK,US compared to before his award winning series.  His older books keep getting reprinted,his Jack Taylor books have like 4-5 different publishers in US,UK,Ireland.  In the bookshop you can choose beteween all his works except his first three Brant books.

I have read 7 books of him this year, that’s by far a personal record since thats like in two months.  Ordered four more books by him, two for next month and preorders of Once Were Cops paperback and London Boulevard reprinted hardcover.

He is a great writer that deserve to be selling better and better.

He seems to love American writers.  In his books he mention highly Bukawski,Algren,people from Hammett,Jim Thompson to Willeford,Leonard.  Poets,non-fiction writers.