Lawman
Posted: 28 July 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2008-03-18

Tim Olyphant will be interesting as Raylan. Really find that actor interesting. Notice, when you guys get a chance to, how Olyphant walks just like John Wayne. Of course Wayne was probably never that skinny, even in his youth. He was a big big man.

Hope they do better with this than they did with “Sisco.” The network, that is. While that series got a bit off track in the middle of its run, it circled back around to a good show. Really wish they’d give it the DVD treatment!

Posted: 28 July 2009 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Timothy Olyphant is a great choice. 

Any idea if they are to going to use source material besides FIRE IN THE HOLE?  I would love to see some Harry.

Posted: 29 July 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Since Pronto was already filmed I would imagine the rights to Arno and other characters from both it and Riding the Rap would be off-limits. Then again, they have Gaylan.

Entertainment Law, who knows.

Posted: 29 July 2009 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Any idea if they are to going to use source material besides FIRE IN THE HOLE?  I would love to see some Harry.

They don’t own those other properties so it’s hard to say. If it goes beyond 13 episodes, they may need new characters.

Since Pronto was already filmed I would imagine the rights to Arno and other characters from both it and Riding the Rap would be off-limits. Then again, they have Raylan.

Snippets of both books are in the Lawman pilot.

Posted: 10 August 2009 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-01-14

To be honest, I’ve had my reservations about Tim Olyphant as Raylan Givens. Seeing him ham it up in the luke-warm LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, I, at first, couldn’t quite take him seriously as an actor. Plus, I couldn’t picture him playing a rugged, Stetson-wearin’ US Marshal from Kentucky. I thought he would have been better off playing Tim Rackley, the federal marshal protagonist in Gregg Hurwitz’s thriller novels. In short, Timothy Olyphant, to me at one point, looked better suited playing a sleek Rambo-type than the traditional modern-day hombre in Elmore Leonard’s masterpieces (I will remain with my original preferred choice of Thomas Haden Church as Givens, should they do an improved film adaptation of PRONTO, or perhaps RIDING THE RAP).

However, I came across the FX press releases for LAWMAN, which came complete with the preliminary shots of Olyphant in full outfit. I must say, I was impressed with what I saw. Timothy Olyphant certainly had the look down, with the contemporary dark suit and the colorfully-clashing white cowboy hat. OK, so at least he gets an A for meeting the visual requirement. But does he have the acting chops? I’m willing to keep an open mind here and see if Mr. Olyphant can indeed pull off this classic Dutch character on the small screen!

Posted: 13 August 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Tim Olyphant is just OK. The Crowe Nazi guy was terrific.

What the Raylan character needs is a Richard Boone no-bullshit attitude with a Harry Dean Stanton delivery.

Tommy Lees Jones 10 years ago would have been about right. This guy Olyphant is a kid, too young.

But at least they used Elmore’s dialogue.

Posted: 13 August 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Olyphant’s 40 years old, far away from being a kid. What I see in the clip is a marshall more menacing than what I picture for his character. The guy needs to shave, might help. A haircut.

But hey, the dialogue is nice, although a bit rushed like they’re channeling Mamet or something.