2 of 2
Connelly, Lehane, Crais and Pelaconos
Posted: 27 June 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
Parker - 27 June 2009 02:24 PM

I think George Pelecanos is the newer version of Leonard.  He is similar but more gritty,dark.  Just like Elmore Leonard i feel like i can read whatever his books is really crime realated or not.

He is the best american crime writer to me now better than Lehane even though im a big fan of him.  Of course im not counting living legends like Leonard wink

Have you read anything by Richard Price? Freedomland is a great novel and his most recent book Lush Life is also terrific and it’s set in New York. He’s only sometimes put in the “crime writer” category, although there is always some crime in his books.

Posted: 28 June 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30
JohnMcFetridge - 27 June 2009 05:22 PM
Parker - 27 June 2009 02:24 PM

I think George Pelecanos is the newer version of Leonard.  He is similar but more gritty,dark.  Just like Elmore Leonard i feel like i can read whatever his books is really crime realated or not.

He is the best american crime writer to me now better than Lehane even though im a big fan of him.  Of course im not counting living legends like Leonard wink

Have you read anything by Richard Price? Freedomland is a great novel and his most recent book Lush Life is also terrific and it’s set in New York. He’s only sometimes put in the “crime writer” category, although there is always some crime in his books.

Nothing wrong with quality crime writers whose books are always very crime like my all-time favourite is after all Donald E.Westlake.

My newer favourites happen to focus more than on crime plot.  Ken Bruen,Pelecanos being perfect examples.

I have heard of Price and i will try him cause of your recommendation.  Fellow EL fans taste are easy to follow,trust.

Speaking about Pelecanos the post above my last post is so wrong about Pelecanos talking like a cracker and written about urban,black issues. 

I have read his Bio he has grown up in places in DC era there was alot of immigrants,blacks.  I admire as a reader and black person how he cares about writing urban issues,race issues. Black main characters.  Just like another DC writer in David Simon and The Wire.  I like to more different cultural take in my crime books.  They cant always be about flashy LA,Miami,NYC.

< 1 2
2 of 2