Say What You Really Feel
Posted: 04 August 2007 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Check out this blog review of Tishomingo Blues.  I don’t think James gets Elmore.

The one I stopped reading, Elmore Leonard’s Tishomingo Blues, started strong but ended up annoying and boring me. I had never read Leonard before, but he’s always touted as being a must-read thriller writer. I got to page 130. Why was I disappointed? Let’s move to bullet points, shall we?

http://jamestata.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 August 2007 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

War enactments are like dreams. They’re interesting if you’re involved personally - even if you research them, I suppose, the war enactments - but dull for other people. It’s a shame this guy gave up at p.130. He never got to meet Newton Hoon. I’m sure The Newt would have grabbed his attention. There’s something wrong with this post.

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 07 August 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Couldn’t find the Tishomingo review, but this caught my attention:

Andrew O’Hagan puts it well (link via Maud Newton):

There’s a horrible fallacy that exists in the popular discussion of fiction these days: the idea that a successful central character need be “likeable” or “sympathetic.” It is surely more important that they be human, no? More crucial that they breathe? The idea that people in novels should be more sympathetic than people in life simply baffles me. The characters I have loved most in Dickens, in Evelyn Waugh, or F Scott Fitzgerald have been, at best, morally ambiguous, and that state of being can only add to the joy of the book for me.

Posted: 13 August 2007 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2005-01-10

This guy James is a FOOL!!
He has never read an Elmore novel before, and picks one of Elmore’s Best, and doesn’t finish it. LAME!!
Maybe James needs to stick to the comics in the Sunday paper, because that seems to be his IQ.
All I can say is before you go dissin a novel, have the balls to finish it.
We all have opinions, but it makes more sense to read the whole story before commenting.
I guess he assumed, and we all know what Assumed means right?
Just putting in my 2 cents.

Cosmo*

Signature 

It’s a Long Long way to FALL