How Many Novels Has Elmore Written?
Posted: 31 May 2007 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

If you’ve been following the press on Honey’s Room, you will note that no two reviewers list the same number of novels in Elmore’s total.  What is the number?  What should be counted and what not?

Posted: 31 May 2007 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

Yeah, that’s funny.  No one seems to know.  Yet they all give a number like it’s written in stone.

They’ve got it somewhere between 40 and 42. You can’t count the collections of short stories, probably can’t count Coyote.  I haven’t read When the Women Come out to Dance or The Tonto Woman yet, but those are compilations too, right?  Can’t count Comfort to the Enemy either, IMHO.

Posted: 31 May 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

41 are listed by Gregg in the “Novels” section of this site…so, uh, I’d say 41.

Posted: 31 May 2007 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

42 if you count “Comfort To The Enemy.”

COYOTE is a novel—a novel for kids and teens.

I’m leaning to count COMFORT as a novel.

42 is my number and I am sticking to it.

Maybe 41 if you don’t count COMFORT.

Gregg said something last week about COMFORT, “Louly and Pretty Boy”, and “Showdown at Checotah (How Carlos…)” maybe being published into one package. 

That would be cool and I would count that as a novel.

Maybe.

Posted: 31 May 2007 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I put the number at 41.  I count A Coyote’s in the House! even though some bibliographers might break it out as a children’s novel.

I don’t count Comfort to the Enemy because it has not yet been published as a novel in book form. 

There’s some debate whether Comfort should be counted as a novel or a novella.  It is about the same length as Coyote but children’s book usually are a little shorter than so called adult novels.  Comfort could join Tenkiller and Fire in the Hole as a short novel or novella.  In fact, I think I’m going to recommment tht the three be bundled as Three Short Novels of Elmore Leonard

The problem with throwing in the two above mentioned short stories. Checotah and Loule and Pretty Boy is that they were lifted almost verbatim in The Hot Kid.  Only the names are different.