Best Lines, Best Images
Posted: 27 March 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I need your help.  I am working on a secret Elmore Leonard project.  I need references to images or lines of dialogue from any Elmore book or story that are very visual and Elmore fun.  For example, LaBrava sticking the barrel down Nobles’ throat, saying suck on it, it’ll calm you down or Booker blowing himself up in the background in Freaky Deaky. 

Think like an illustrator using words, or a writer using illustrations.

Thanks.

Posted: 27 March 2007 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2006-10-03

Son Martin urges Frank Long to turn on the light, Frank obliges, and the hillside behind Son explodes spectacularly, taking with it some very bad people and 150 barrels of aged moonshine.

Posted: 27 March 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

The El Yunque scene in Glitz.

The scene in Pronto where Raylan quick-draws and shoots the mob guy from three feet across the cafe table.

Oh man, the church scene, the opening paragraph, in Pagan Babies.

Jack Ryan hitting the guy with a baseball bat in The Big Bounce.

The locker room scene in Gold Coast: skinny/paunchy, half-naked white guys seeing a black dude with a gun, his Afro, and thinking “Christ, a Wildman, a Mau Mau.” (or something like that; this is from memory).

The view from the balcony from which Teddy threw Iris in Glitz.

Wayne’s view from up on the iron in Killshot, or Armand’s view from the hotel before he kills the mob boss.

Th exploding oil tank as seen by Jack Belmont’s dad in The Hot Kid.

The window washer shooting in Swag.

Posted: 28 March 2007 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-02-04

Chili Palmer’s gaze: ‘Look at me, Leo’.

Buddy’s agent’s shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty (wearing shades).

Signature 

A shiny brown lowrider dachshund named Swifty

Posted: 30 March 2007 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

There’s a lot of this stuff in Tishomingo Blues, a very descriptive novel for Elmore Leonard. A lot of the stuff surrounding the photo of the lynching on the bridge that Robert Taylor is showing people. The first description ofthe photo itself, or when he shows it to Arlen:

Robert said, “Listen, Arlen? Listen to me. I didn’t mean to upset you. I thought maybe you already knew your great-grandaddy lynched that man up in the picture, my own great-grandaddy, rest his soul. And cut his dick off. Can you imagine a man doing that to another man—even one you gonna lynch? Listen to me, Arlen. Lemme have the photo back before you mess it up.”