Unknown Man #89
Posted: 13 December 2006 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

I’ve been re-reading a lot of the 70’s stuff like Unknown Man #89 and Swag and 52 Pick-up. Gregg has said that the “cult” of Elmore Leonard started around that time. I first read the books in the early 80’s when the paperbacks finally hit Canada.

I wonder if anyone else here has read these books recently? The new stuff is really good, but these books now seem so far ahead of their time in style. They hold up unbelievably well.

Posted: 15 December 2006 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

I’d have to read them again to comment.

My dad couldn’t get enough of Swag though.  That one seemed to make a big impression on him.  I sent him a bunch of my copies.  I suppose I’ll get them back eventually.  He’s out west, I’m back east.

I told him to read Stick next, and he did and liked it enough, although he did like Swag better.

Posted: 16 December 2006 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

I just started to reread SWAG.  It could be my favorite.  At this moment, it is unavailable.  You can find it at a good used bookstore.  I was able to pick up a paperback version a few years back for $7.50—first edition and retitled RYAN’S RULES.

The first chapter drags you in slowly and you love the ride.  I have read it numerous times and it still reads fresh.

I believe that this time frame in Mr. Leonards career is magical—SWAG, 52 PICKUP, THE SWITCH,  and UNKNOWN MAN #89 are what made him a legend before he hit the bestseller list.

Posted: 20 December 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-12-20

They need to put Swag back into print. I have a worn out paperback copy that I bought used off of Ebay but I would rather have a newer copy that is in better shape.

Posted: 21 December 2006 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Yeah, I’d like to see a new printing of Swag, too. The characters in the book are so good, and such a good mix. Frank and Ernest, of course, but also Sportree and all the people in the apartment complex. Man, I’ve lived in that building, it feels like.