Lehane, Eddie Coyle, & Elmore
Posted: 21 September 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

Lehane said, “Without it (Elmore reading Eddie Coyle), by his own admission, there’s no Elmore Leonard.

I don’t think that’s quite accurate.

What Elmore’s said is that reading EC made him realize profanity was OK and that he could carry his books with dialogue. But it’s a stretch to suggest that Elmore as we know him wouldn’t exist had he not read EC. I have the feeling these things would have come to him another way.

Posted: 21 September 2009 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

You’re right, he was certainly on track. Elmore Leonard is a very nice guy and a generous guy. It was good of him to give so much credit to George Higgins, but there isn’t really that much of a difference of Elmore before reading Higgins and after. There’s a refining of the style, for sure, but like you say these things would have come anyway.

Elmore Leonard’s style is constantly being refined with each book. There aren’t very many writers today who take such care on a word by word, sentence by sentence way that Elmore Leonard does.

Posted: 22 September 2009 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

An interesting side note: In Eddie Coyle there’s a gun dealer named Jackie Brown and a T-man named Foley.

Elmore’s motto: “I only steal from the best.”

Posted: 22 September 2009 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE INTRODUCTION by Elmore Leonard

Another EDDIE COYLE thread.

Posted: 01 October 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I thought it was a bit much saying its because of a book like that Elmore Leonard the crime writer exist.  The reviews in Goodreads say things like without this NO ELMORE LEONARD:

A bit too much he could learn from someone but no created EL the crime writer but himself.

Posted: 19 October 2009 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31
LACrimAtty - 21 September 2009 09:40 PM

Lehane said, “Without it (Elmore reading Eddie Coyle), by his own admission, there’s no Elmore Leonard.

A silly statement. I like Lehane, and I’m sure Mr. Leonard was just trying to give Mr. Higgins a compliment, but Elmore had already found his voice by the time “Eddie Coyle” came out. Just read “The Big Bounce” again and you’ll see what I mean.

Posted: 04 December 2009 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-09-15
LACrimAtty - 22 September 2009 12:16 PM

An interesting side note: In Eddie Coyle there’s a gun dealer named Jackie Brown and a T-man named Foley.

Elmore’s motto: “I only steal from the best.”

I noticed that, but the thing is that in Rum Punch the Jackie Brown character is named Jackie Burke, its was Quentin Tarantino that changed the name to Brown once he’d made her black (and cast Foxxy Brown - Pam Grier), so I guess we chalk that one down to a coincidence.

Posted: 05 December 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-03-31

A Google search led me to the NY Times 1977 review of “Unknown Man #89.” The reviewer is seemingly the first to notice the similarites between EL and Higgins. I still think EL already found his voice by the time Higgins came around, but the review itself is worth a read.

Decent Men in Trouble

By NEWGATE CALLENDAR

When Elmore Leonard’s “Fifty-Two-Pickup” appeared in 1974, it had some critics talking in terms of Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald. “Swag” in 1976 indicated that Leonard’s first book was no mere accident. A new and important writer of mystery fiction had arrived. Now comes “Unknown Man No. 89,” and it maintains the high standard Leonard has set for himself.

But it really is wrong to talk of this writer in terms of Chandler and Macdonald. He has little in common with those two. They are “clean” writers; there is no profanity to speak of in Chandler, and Macdonald has never been an exponent of the verismo school of speech. Leonard is.

The real influence on Leonard is George V. Higgins, whose “The Friends of Eddie Coyle” came out about five years ago and marked a breakthrough into the kind of language previously encountered only in paperback books with green covers: Even had he wanted to, Chandler, say, would not in his time have been allowed to reproduce the speech of the criminal subculture, with four-letter words as numerous as cockroaches in a tenement flat. (But why only the criminal subculture? Anybody who has ever lived in an army barracks, or has gone to the dressing rooms of professional athletes after a game or who hangs around hardhat bars hears the same kind of language.)

Higgins was the first to take full advantage of the new permissiveness. Like Higgins’s, Leonard’s characters, all middle-class or criminal types, speak in a way that cannot be reproduced in a family newspaper. Leonard often cannot resist a set-piece—a lowbrow aria with a crazy kind of scatological poetry of its own—in the Higgins manner.

But that is where the similarity ends. Where Higgins wrote only about criminals, Leonard writes about basically decent, ordinary men who get into trouble and have to work their way out of it. In “Swag,” the decent man happens to be a criminal, but toward the end he achieves all but mythic stature. In “Fifty-Two Pickup” a rich industrialist commits one sexual mistake and is blackmailed. Rough and tough, he will not give in, and he finds a way to get rid of the punks. Permanently. He too emerges bigger than life at the end.

Leonard is a moralist in his way. In all three of his books, Good overcomes Evil (even in “Swag,” where the hero is finally undone only by a freak of fate). But Leonard is also a realist and, in an objective, matter-of-fact way, he can portray some of the most vicious, slimy villains that ever horrified a spellbound reader.

“Unknown Man No. 89” follows the pattern. It is the story of a not very admirable man who, under stress, discovers himself and becomes a whole man. The central character is a man named Ryan, formerly a drifter, now a process-server who is very good at his job. He follows Rule No. 1: Never get personally involved. But get involved he does, with a young lady about to be fleeced by an oily, dangerous crook. He gets her out of trouble at the end, in a blaze of Leonardian pyrotechnical finesse. As in the two previous books, the plotting is remarkably ingenious.

Also, as in the other two books, the locale is Detroit. Leonard lives in Birmingham, Mich., and attended Detroit University. He knows his city, and he has observed some of the hoodlums in it. He is very good at creating figures of menace: Alan Raimey and Bobby Shy in “Fifty-Two Pickup,” Sportree in “Swag.”

In “Unknown Man No. 89,” Leonard serves up Raymond Gidre, a Southern bigot who is a single-minded killer: Go in, shoot and get out. When his boss tells him to retrieve a suitcase, this is how he does it:

“Another boy with a hat and sunglasses sitting across the other side of the bar like he was a nigger cowboy, riding the barstool with his big orange drink. That one, Raymond said to himself. The skinny boy had the suitcase, but the cowboy was the one to watch.

“Raymond took his drink and walked over to Tunafish. He said, ‘How you doing? Your hands cold?’

“Tunafish, looking up at him, said, ‘My hands? What?’

“Raymond placed his drink on the table. He reached into his coat, brought out his German Luger and shot Tunafish in the face, twice.”

Ryan not only has to evade the attentions of a man like Raymond, he also has to outwit the con man, who is much smarter and just as dangerous. How he does it is another example of Leonard’s legerdemain. The working-out will keep you on the edge of your chair.

Leonard bows to no one in plot construction. Yet there is never the feeling of gimmickry in his plots; events follow a natural course. Above all, there is Leonard’s style. He has a wonderful ear, and his dialogue never has a false note. He avoids artiness, writes clear expository prose and has the ability to create real people. It is not High Literature, nor does it pretend to be. Leonard is primarily an entertainer. But he is one with enormous finesse, and he can write circles around almost anybody active in the crime novel today.

Newgate Callendar conducts the Book Review’s Crime column.