The WIRE
Posted: 20 July 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

I have a couple things to say, aside from thanks to Gregg for posting that terrific and, IMO, understated article:

The WIRE IS the best show in the history of TV, and that includes The SOPRANOS and the rest of the terrific shows HBO has run. In many ways it’s Elmore with an edge, on screen, on a weekly basis. So many of the shows were SO GOOD it was hard to imagine how next week’s show could compete. Yet it did, every time, for five years. There were, here and there, a few relatively weak shows, but emphasize the word ‘relatively.’ When that happened I’d be put in mind of the difference between say SWAG and SPLIT IMAGES. Sure, the former is a masterpiece, but the latter, while not at that level, is much better than anything else out there.

Barack Obama told NEWSWEEK months ago The WIRE was his favorite show. It’s one of the things that told me he’s the real deal. This was while all the other candidates in both parties were saying American Idol or Dr. Phil or some such horseshit, pandering for votes and at the same time alienating most of the non-Republicans with an IQ over 99. I realized, Hey, not only is this guy candid, but he’s got terrific taste.

Anyone who loves Elmore’s writings and hasn’t seen the WIRE needs to get the DVDs ASAP. Even if you have to spend food money to get them you’ll be glad you did.

Posted: 20 July 2008 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2008-03-18

I can’t imagine qualifying someone as a “real deal” on the basis of enjoying the same gritty television show that you do, Mr. LA.

All one has to do is look at BHO’s past and see there is nothing real about the guy. He’s done, literally, very little to justify a Harvard degree. In fact, he has equated his degree as insubstantial education when comparing it with his days on the activist Chicago streets. While I in no way think education - or intelligence, for all that - comes solely from the square box of a classroom, his statement reveals his real opinion not only of America, but non-black America.

Now, if you’re talking about the man being a Marxist, the “real deal” there, even in that he comes up short. His lifestyle and income and possessions are all we need to determine that. Although admittedly his hunger for power at the expense of consistency in his statements with his beliefs does lead me to believe he is as Marxist as any mad collectivist, Stalin, Lenin, could be.

Perhaps his enjoying a show about criminals is the connection he feels for those times he submersed himself in the drug and black American culture in an attempt to become the “black man” he felt his skin identified him as.

The only real deal thing I find about him is his dangerousness. One scary dude, when you think of him running our country.

Posted: 20 July 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

All I’m gonna say, before I put you on Ignore, is learn to read. I said The WIRE was “one of the things” that did it for me vis a vis Obama.

Posted: 20 July 2008 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Ignore. Yeah, that’s cool with me. Shut out others simply because you disagree.

‘Bout what I expect from an attorney. I try not to stereotype, but what’re you gonna do, stereotypes arise for a reason.

What’s a thousand attorneys at the bottom of the ocean? 

Not near enough.

Posted: 20 July 2008 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

DELETED

Posted: 20 July 2008 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Well, Robb, we know where you stand.

Seems “The Wire”, to me, stirs up the idiocy.

More than 17,000 Californians died at the WW II dance. And did you know, that war had its whacko dissenters. Like, you know, FDR knew about the attack, too. Of course, those 17,000, must not have been good as the troops in Iraq - they died a lot quicker.

Oddly, that one also started with a chickenshit attack.

Where’d you get your Bush quote, the DailyKos?

Barack
Hussien
Obama

Personally, I ain’t voting for either one. Liberty is dead. Why bother?

Truth hurts, don’t it babe.

Posted: 20 July 2008 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

DELETED

Posted: 21 July 2008 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

that should teach you
what happens
to funny people
in this world
disillusion
that’s why
elmo
gets my vote
world
president

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Robb, according the your man BHO’s supporters, having served is not an automatic qualification for being President (aimed at McCain -http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/30/america/NA-POL-US-Clark-McCain.php). Neither does your service qualify you for anything more than giving an opinion. Nor does that service qualify you to not be called to the carpet for you opinion. If you served, or not, I respect your citizenship.

I served too. Vote or not, I live here, and I have a right to say something, just as you do, just as we all do, even those who haven’t served and spit on the flag and lie about facts in order to obtain CONTROL over others.

I come to this site out of my respect for Mr. L’s work, for entertainment. But if someone goes off topic, for whatever reason, even as just an innocent slip, I’ll comment, if moved, on that as well.

forum |?fôr?m|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Have a swell day those of you in La La land.

http://sendables.jibjab.com/sendables/1191/time_for_some_campaignin#/teaser/1191

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

OK, that’s it.  Obama watches the Wire, W. reads Elmore Leonard.  What does it mean?  Don’t care. Back to books, movies and Elmore.

This thread is closed.  Start another one if you want, but turn your burner down.