Manatee
Posted: 14 July 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

I endured the whole thing, and all I can say is what a mistake for the other authors to invite side by side comparison with Elmore Leonard.

Elmore’s chapter is vintage stuff, the Man at his best; need I say more? Overall, the “book” ends up reading like a dozen community college aspiring writers and Hemingway with a sense of humor.

View Manatee as the 10 Rules as applied by one and ignored by twelve. In fact, now that I think about it, Gregg should consider for the future a twofer: the 10 Rules and Manatee, the latter promoted as 12 good reasons to read and use the former.

Posted: 14 July 2008 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Funny stuff.  Pure example of why we need the 10 Rules.

Posted: 14 July 2008 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2008-03-18

While it’s okay for us to compare the other writers with Mr. L in a negative way, using the ten rules, I don’t think Mr. L would want to do that to fellow authors. So long since I read that book that I don’t even remember Mr. L being a contributor. I’ll have to dig that out sometime. Had his book of shorts, Women, out last week. That last story with the stunt man ties neatly to the Webster saga, but as we were talking about Mr. L’s craftmanship, the relationship to real “literature”, that short with the arson investigator, so much better when looking at it critically.