Dutch Forum Authors
Posted: 08 July 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

I’ve been waiting two years for this, and I sure don’t want to use this forum for self-promotion, but if Gregg doesn’t mind, I wanted to let the regulars know that my second novel, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is out in the US this week, and my first, Dirty Sweet, is also just out in paperback. They’re both from Harcourt.

I remember what it was like waiting for the new Springsteen album in the 70’s and how I’d have to settle for Southside Johnny instead. This might be kind of like that. Most of the advance reviews have mentioned how I’ve been clearly influenced by Elmore Leonard, most of them positively. Publishers Weekly said I have all my characters talk like Chili Palmer, but I don’t think they realize what a huge compliment that is.

Elmore Leonard is certinaly my biggest influence, along with Hemingway and Raymond Carver and Richard Ford and lots more.

There are hundreds of Elmore Leonard imitators out there and all I can say is that when you try and get the characters and the situations right that means you’ll sound like Elmore Leonard - het gets everything right.

Posted: 08 July 2008 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

congrats John
both great reads
Nugs your uncle

Posted: 08 July 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

ORDER THE BOOKS HERE!!!

I just did.

What’s this?

Posted: 10 July 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-09-15

I work in a bookshop in London and according to our computer ‘Dirty Sweet’ is published in the UK 2nd November 2008. I’ll be ordering a copy in then.

Posted: 19 July 2008 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

DIRTY SWEET just arrived.  EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE should be soon.

Our very own JM.

Posted: 22 July 2008 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2008-04-04

Next time I get allocated some “Book Money”, I’ll check yours out John.
(no, I’m not 6 years old, I’m just broke).

Congratulations anyway.

Posted: 08 August 2008 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08
Robb - 19 July 2008 09:40 PM

DIRTY SWEET just arrived.  EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE should be soon.

Our very own JM.

Here is a nice link to a nice article about Mr. McFetridge.  I wish I would have caught this earlier.  A certain Detroit writer is mentioned once or twice.

Posted: 09 August 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

Yes, it’s a very good read. And interesting. So many interviews with writers are so dull.
What I liked the most was John’s honesty. You feel that you’ve actually learned something about the man, not just the standard blah blah blah of many interviews.

I am ashamed to say though, I actually read this piece a while back, and it never occured to me to post it here. Apologies.

Posted: 09 August 2008 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

To even the balance:

Grow house

Who’s Angie Dickinson

Both good reads.

Posted: 02 February 2009 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

A while ago I read John Mcfetridge’s first published novel, Dirty Sweet. It was a great read and I must confess it made me slightly envious.
However, putting my failings and delusional aspirations of writing aside, I’d like to say that you can’t go wrong with this book. It’s well worth checking out.

Yesterday I started John’s second published book, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. I’m very impressed. I’m currently into chapter eight, and it’s a swift read, and very hard to put down.

Victor Gischler said, of this novel:

“McFetridge has a veteran’s way with dialogue and prose, and the pages fly by….”

He’s not wrong.

When I finish it I’ll probably turn right back to page one, and go through it again.
And I hope the publication date for Swap, his third novel, won’t be too far away.

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20
JohnMcFetridge - 08 July 2008 05:05 PM

I wanted to let the regulars know that my second novel, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is out in the US this week, and my first, Dirty Sweet, .

Is this is a reference to the Neil Young and Crazy Horse album (one of my favorites)?

Posted: 02 February 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12
Road Dawg - 02 February 2009 12:49 PM
JohnMcFetridge - 08 July 2008 05:05 PM

I wanted to let the regulars know that my second novel, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is out in the US this week, and my first, Dirty Sweet, .

Is this is a reference to the Neil Young and Crazy Horse album (one of my favorites)?

Yes, that’s it. One of the characters in the book was hanging around Yorkville in Toronto around the time Neil Young was playing places like the Riverboat - just before he loaded up the hearse and headed to LA.

Posted: 02 February 2009 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-04

And Dirty Sweet was from Marc Bolan, right?
Is your new book’s title, Swap, from a song?