Elmore’s Alone At The Top
Posted: 16 November 2005 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2005-08-29

I’ve read everything Elmore has ever written, many books as many as 5 times, mostly because the writing is so good it’s a pleasure to marvel at repeatedly, but also because I can’t find anything close to comparable to read. I scour bookstores, read reviews, buy recommended titles, and still almost never do I find a new writer who can carry Elmore’s jock, let alone compare favorably with him.

Lawrence Block, James Lee Burke, Ross Thomas, Michael Connelly, Charles McCarry, Robert B. Parker, Ed McBain and many others…I’ve bought and read all their books,  and many are pretty good, some even great, but only rarely do I see single paragraphs, let alone pages or chapters, that are as tight, powerful, funny and engaging as Elmore on an off day.

So my question is, what great writers am I missing? I’m not talking about popular writers—guys like Patterson or Crais or Clancy—I’m looking for great writers, preferably in the Crime Fiction or Cop/P.I. or Suspense genres. Are there any?

While you’re thinking of suggestions, take the Elmore test: pick up any book he’s written in the last 30 years and read the first paragraph. Then read the first paragraph of whatever book by whatever author you’re thinking of recommending. Is it even in the ballpark?

Posted: 20 November 2005 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-01-22

While no one can touch Dutch, I’ve enjoyed the late Charles Williford’s books….KC Constantine….James W. Hall and others.  You’re right, though, Elmore Leonard is #1 with a bullet.

Posted: 20 November 2005 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-01-22

While no one can touch Dutch, I’ve enjoyed the late Charles Williford’s books….KC Constantine….James W. Hall and others.  You’re right, though, Elmore Leonard is #1 with a bullet.  Hey, sounds like a title!