1 2 > 
1 of 2
Favorite Characters, Scenes, Locations
Posted: 14 January 2007 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

We have a good little group on The Dutch Forum.  Visitors to the site are up 100% since last year at this time.  Membership is up too.

Of course, web statistics are always subject to close scrutiny, but interest in Elmore continues to grow and so does the site, because of him but also because the DF features qualiity discussion by posters who have a perspective on Elmore’s work.

So, for each other, and folks new to The Dutch Forum, let’s start a thread about favorite characters, scenes or locations, real sixth grade style.  Use big words if you got ‘em.

Class, who wants to start?

Posted: 14 January 2007 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Sportree and his lounge. Was it a real place?

Posted: 14 January 2007 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Dutch called a bar, “Sportree’s” and located it on 8 Mile.  The actual “Sportree’s” was called The Music Bar and was located in Paradise Valley (Detroit’s Black Neighborhood, long gone) at 2030 Hastings St.”  Raymond “Sportree” Jackson was the proprietor.  He also owned The Aquarium Seafood on Adams and the Tropicana Bar, north of The Music Bar on Hastings.

Posted: 14 January 2007 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-01-06

raymond cruz and 1300 buebain (sp) the police station across from the ren center…and all those cops wendell robinson, bryl, jerry hunter (also from FD) 

i walk into an oldtime style bar and i look for them….

Posted: 15 January 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

What about Randy in Pagan Babies. His restaurant - and how he became a gangster - was a lot of fun. The set-up there with the payment for the hookers going on the restaurant bill sounds like something real.

Posted: 16 January 2007 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

Any character who likes to smoke weed.  Is that 6th grade enough?  ;-D

But to narrow it down a bit, how about Stick and his pals having a party at the mansion before really sticking it to Chuckie?  I wonder who does Elmore’s research for those kinds of scenes?  gulp 
zipper

Posted: 16 January 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

And Robert Taylor in Tishimingo Blues knows his weed. You can get all that stuff online, though, can’t you Gregg?

Posted: 16 January 2007 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-01-10

I always liked the scene in Pagan Babies where Fr. Terry walks up to the Hutu murderers and blows them away while they’re drinking banana beer.  Classic, old-school style hit.

Posted: 17 January 2007 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

OK I hate to say it but the scene at Betty’s Hair Studio with Gary Hammond in the chair and Betty working on him, everybody doing their own thing when Elvin Crowe comes in wearing the same electric blue suit his brother Roland wore, thinking about the scene in a western story read to him by his jailhouse bunky, folding this, almost the very first scene in an EL novel from 38 years earlier, into motivation for what to me felt like the worst murder ever committed. What a cruel cruel inside joke, I loved it.

Posted: 18 January 2007 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2006-09-18

That was a great scene.  Only one other story comes to mind where the ‘good guy’ gets it. 

Most of the violent scenes i’ve read sneak up on you and are over as quickly as they begin.  Yet some are described in painstaking detail, not unlike something out of Kill Bill.  It’s like reading in slow motion.  These somewhat rarer episodes are just as chilling and satisfying as all the rest.

Posted: 19 January 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Stick getting stuck for child support and Stick going to jail are classic endings to classic books.

Posted: 23 January 2007 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

I was thinking, Detroit as a location is cool. In Mr. Paradise, it’s almost explained, one of the women says she likes Detroit because she can drive there and she likes driving. She hates New York because you’re always sitting in traffic.

And quite a few books have big, old Detroit houses. Old money meets new. Mr. Paradise’s house and the house they break into in Out of Sight and Booker’s house where he gets blown up, and where the cops make fun of his decorating.

Over these books the whole character of Detroit comes across, the way it’s changed from the early 70’s to now.

Posted: 23 January 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2006-10-03
JohnMcFetridge - 23 January 2007 11:58 AM

the house they break into in Out of Sight

One of my favorite scenes, mostly because my college roommate lived on Vaughn Road.  I remember a late night trip over from Ann Arbor where we resolved a cash flow problem by picking up his coin collection.  Could have been a scene in a book somwhere.

Posted: 25 January 2007 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

Killshot filming in Toronto
Driving along Queen’s Quay East this A.M. saw big dayglow yellow sign
“Killshot” Base Camp” out in front of the Studio 54 complex

Posted: 25 January 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Can you get me a photo for the site?

Posted: 25 January 2007 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-20

I took a number of shots at great risk to fingers in -15C
Will try to attach one here now…... but they are larger than the 75kb specified here
What’s the best way to get them to you?

1 2 > 
1 of 2