4 of 4
Touchstones - New
Posted: 29 December 2011 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

A few quick RAYLAN Touchstones:

An ARC showed up at my door yesterday.  Thanks…

I have read 25 pages and the dialogue is as good as ever.  Classic lines.

I love that the noun swag is used.

More Crowe relatives from GOLD COAST, THE HOT KID, PRONTO, RIDING THE RAP, “Fire in the Hole” show up.

A Taco (Mexican) Mafia member (born and raised in Kentucky) named Bob Valdez works with the Crowes.  Bob Valdez:  VALDEZ IS COMING, “Saint With A Six Gun”, and “Only Good Ones”

Anyone know John Mills or Gobel Messer?  They are both mentioned on gravestones.  I don’t think THE MOONSHINE WAR.

Image Attachments
220px-Valdez_Is_Coming.jpg

Posted: 30 December 2011 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20

Can’t wait to read Raylan.

In the meantime, I noticed there’s a character in Forty Lashes Less One, an associate of Virgil Shelby’s named Howard Crowder, “who had worked for railroad lines in both the United State and Mexico, before he turned to holding up trains and spent ten years in Yuma.”

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08
Road Dawg - 30 December 2011 10:51 AM

Can’t wait to read Raylan.

In the meantime, I noticed there’s a character in Forty Lashes Less One, an associate of Virgil Shelby’s named Howard Crowder, “who had worked for railroad lines in both the United State and Mexico, before he turned to holding up trains and spent ten years in Yuma.”

Nice one.  Boyd Crowder is in RAYLAN and he is hilarious. 

A few more. . .

By LACrimAtty on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:37 am:
In LABRAVA, we have Glenn Hicks, a cop in Boca Raton who’s never in a scene, but is mentioned a few times. He may or may not be related to Roy Hicks, the ex-cop/ex-con associate of Jack Delaney’s in BANDITS.

Buzz Hicks is a senior detective in RAYLAN.

Tunica from TISHOMINGO BLUES is mentioned.

Of course, Bob Valdez does mention that (he) Valdez is coming.

I am sure there are dozens more.  I read it fast.  It is his best book since TISHMINGO BLUES.  It is fantastic.  I laughed out loud ten times.

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-20

Louis Lewis talking to Mr. Walker in Riding the Rap, mentioning how Mr. Walker got caught up with an arms dealer (Ordell in Rum Punch). “You did the right thing, man, separate yourself from that nigga. Could’ve taken you down with him.”
And later, Lewis says to Bobby: “Mr. Cedric Walker was in the gun business. Got out right before the man he was dealing with went down.” \\

EDIT: Sorry, this one was spotted in an earlier touchstone. Damn, thought I found a good one there too.

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-20
johnOB - 06 May 2011 10:52 AM

Another Russell:
Hombre: John Russell, who, particularly as played by Paul Newman in the 1967 movie, with a wonderful cast, may be the coolest of all of Elmore’s cool guys (“We all die. It’s just a question of when.”).

There’s also a James Russell in Hombre.

‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4