The First Time I Read Elmore Leonard
Posted: 22 May 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

I posted this question on Facebook on May 18.

What was the first Elmore Leonard novel you read? How did you discover Elmore? How long have you been reading him? Just curious!

There were 265 replies.  I thought I would share it hear and give The Dutch FOrum people a chance to chime in if they don’t do Facebook.

The replies are in the next post.

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Deanna Joye Cleveland Johnson-Harris and 110 others like this.

Walt Hicks Pretty sure it was HOMBRE, many many years ago…my late father was a huge fan, as I am now!
May 18 at 9:44am

Mark-Angelo Maloma Pronto
May 18 at 9:45am

Felipe D’Andrea The Switch.

John Birkbeck I’ve read everything he ever wrote, unless he has got something out this year—and I’ll son get that!!

Ronny Carlton I discovered him through his movies. I think 3:10 to Yuma was the first I saw.And then I became a fan of the show Justiifed and I figured there was a reason why i was drawn to his work so I started reading him.

Gregg McGraw Mr. Majestyk. Saw the movie, then read the book, then liked the style. Been reading him since…1990ish.

Misty Maxwell I discovered Elmore thru Justified and my 1st book to read will be Raylan smile

Robert Craven Glitz was bought for me as a gift 20yrs ago & I’ve read everything by him since. Big hero, major influence on my writing…

Jinx Palin Dutch Treat…great collection of his short stories.
May 18 at 9:46am

Scott Halvorsen ‎“Hombre”......I liked the movie and wanted a deeper look into the characters. That was in 1980 and I have beenreading him ever since. You are an Icon to those that enjoy a good novel. Thank you!!!!
May 18 at 9:46am

James K Jenkins Rum punch. Then 20 more!
May 18 at 9:47am

Tommy Harrelson RUM PUNCH which was later made into the movie JACKIE BROWN.

John Gordon Huber Found a copy of “The Moonshine War” and it was off to the races after that. My father, too, was a big fan of Mr. Leonard. and we would wait eagerly for the next novel.

Tracy Lavin Out of Sight was my first and I have read every single other book!!!
May 18 at 9:48am

Sue Lawson Buzby Rayland was the first. I learned of Elmore from Justified and now I love Elmore almost as much as I love Rayland and Boyd. I have bought nine books since Rayland and have read three from the library. I’m definitely an Elmore fan.

Erik Hannan Get Shorty and Rum Punch about twenty years ago and I’ve read pretty much his whole post-Big Bounce catalog since. Only author to ever give the late great George V. Higgins a run for his money in the dialogue department.

Michael Gross Maximum Bob…..too many years to count and think I’ve read 70% of his.
May 18 at 9:49am

Dom Leitch Either Maximum Bob or Rum Punch in about 1996/7.

Beth Cook ‎3:10 to Yuma but it was “Justified” that enlightened me!

Ric Drumm Get Shorty. I saw the movie, and saw that it was based on a novel. Went to the bookstore and bought Get Shorty, Riding the Rap, and Maximum Bob.

Eva Hookah-Gillot bandits! was my very first one, the plot was quite original. So I went to the bookstore afterwards to know more. I discovered then a substantial collection

Howard Cooper Had him recommended to me in 1998 and Rum Punch was first novel I read. Been hooked ever since.

Michael Bennett Rum Punch. Been a fan for about 15 years.
May 18 at 9:50am

Jason Edwards The first Elmore I read was “SWAG.” Even though I had been a fan of his book to movie adaptions for a long time.

Eddy Galuszka Get Shorty. Still one of my favorite books.

Karen Haag Freaky Deaky. Working on the entire collection

Kevin Smith Be Cool and I was hooked. Mr. Leonard spoke to a journalism group in Detroit in late 90s and I have an autographed copy of Get Shorty.
May 18 at 9:51am

Anders Mortensen pagan babies

Justin Fortune Killshot. I saw Get Shorty and wanted to read the author. I have read about 50 of his fantastic books and look forward to the rest currently reading City Primevil

Brett Kaplan ‎‘Get Shorty,’ was my first, after I discovered Dutch through my favorite filmmaker, Quentin Tarantino (have yet to read ‘Rum Punch,’ but have read ‘The Switch.’ Dutch has helped me find my own personal writing style, and I hoped to be able to tell stories until I’m 86, just like him. My favorite novel, thus far, reading Dutch’s books for only a year or so, is ‘Freaky Deaky,’ or ‘Tishomingo Blues,’ too close to call. A lot more reading and writing to do inspired by Dutch.
May 18 at 9:52am

Billy Bartels I picked up Cuba Libre in an airport when it came out, since it was by the guy who had written Get Shorty and Out of Sight. He’s been my go-to airport pickup ever since. I accidentally picked up Rum Punch next, but Jackie Brown was a little too faithful to continue. Probably read another 20-30 since then.

Steven Towers I read “Cuba Libre” when it came out. Hooked me good. I need to go back and check out some of the westerns at some point—I’ve only seen the movies.

Aaron Brahosky First read “Cuba Libre” ... picked it up at random while waiting for a flight at the airport. I had never even heard of Elmore Leonard at that point. Finished it while on vacation, and I was hooked. I’ve since read every novel and short story. Just recently found a used copy of “The Moonshine War” which was the only one I was missing. Can’t wait for more ....
May 18 at 9:53am

Judy Kiekens Killshot - I have been to most of the places in the book, so found it very interesting

Daniel Joseph Sardella Probably ‘Get Shorty’ or ‘Rum Punch’. Can’t even remember…

Jeff Salway Maximum Bob. I buried out from my sister because it looked good. Out wa fantastic, I still have the book 15 years later!
May 18 at 9:54am

Rob Siders A college buddy told me to read FIFTY-TWO PICK UP.
May 18 at 9:55am

continued in next post.

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Walter Giersbach Okay, I’m a piker, having read only seven of Leonard’s books The first was “Glitz,” in 2007. But my thesis since then, supported in my book reviews, is that after finishing “Freaky Deaky” and “When the Women Come Out to Dance,” is that Leonard is an addictive literary writer who mirrors our age.

Mark Frankland Riding the rap. My dad handed me the book and said read this. That was 16 years ago. I am 35. And about 16 books later…

Jim DeFilippi I think it was STICK and I was trying to learn how to write crime fiction; learning from the best.

Kevin G. Vaillancourt A friend loaned me Tishomingo Blues, and Mr. Leonard rose instantly to my Top 10 Authors list. I’ve been following all him since. Thanks for all the wonderful work!

Daniel Joseph Sardella And reading him since probably 2000.

Jeff Salway Brett Caplan- you really need to read Rum Punch! The book was far grater than the movie!
May 18 at 9:56am

C.R. Jakes Be Cool was my first in 2001. I became interested after reading a passage in Stephen King’s On Writing. I’ve read all his books since.
May 18 at 9:56am

Mark Frankland Or rum punch?
May 18 at 9:57am

Mark Lester Osin Landingin Be cool.

Michael Cook ‎” Freaky deaky” I stumbled onto it and the title caught my eye,i read it and damn I’ve been reading your books ever since!!

Jeff Salway Omg. Auto correct on my phone. I CAN spell!

Sam Eltzroth My stepbrother turned me on to him when i got my wisdom teeth pulled i was off school for a few days and he gave me freaky deaky after that i was hooked
May 18 at 9:58am

Patrick Bartolo ‎“Out of Sight” after seeing the movie.
May 18 at 9:58am

Daniel Sparks My introduction to Elmore Leonard was the novel Swag. I checked it out of the library. I pulled it from the shelf because of its title. And checked it out because of the story description. That was 15 years ago. I been hooked on Elmore Leonard ever since. You are at the top of my top 5 favorite authors. Thank you.
May 18 at 9:59am

Fumio Sano My first one was Mr. Majestyk. I love it.

Scott Raflo Get Shorty… and then Justified.

Jamie Hicks It was Get Shorty - I read an excerpt in Rolling Stone. I was instantly hooked! I picked up Maximum Bob right after and I proceeded to pick up everything “Dutch” had written. Reading “The Hot Kid” right now and “Djibouti” is waiting in the wings! Keep up the good work!

Taylor Jean ‎“Be Cool” was the first and that led me into a Summer of Leonard in 2002!!! I have loved his work so much and read probably about 1/3 of his stuff!! Elmore Leonard is the best!!
May 18 at 10:00am

Dave Alexander Hombre. Loved it!
May 18 at 10:00am

Ted Albensi Killshot, about 20 yrs ago
May 18 at 10:01am

Keith Eddingston II I can’t remember that far back!
May 18 at 10:01am

Staffan Sölve Discovered him through the movie “Out of Sight”, but my first book read was Pagan Babies - actually started to translate it into Swedish, hasn’t been published here. But then found out I would never get publishing rights for the translated book.
May 18 at 10:02am

Lucinda Ritzschke Adams I don’t remember which was 1st, but I remember discovering the early western ones and LOVED them.
May 18 at 10:04am

Jerry McAfee Get Shorty, 15 years ago - have read all of them written since!
May 18 at 10:04am

Cory Berry I LOVED the movie “Get Shorty” and decided to read the book (something I rarely do - see a movie and want to read the book). I was hooked and soon started checking out and buying all of the books I could find of his. As someone that is a slow reader and tends to lose interest in novels because of that, Dutch’s snappy dialogue grabbed me so I couldn’t put the books down. I have finished every novel of his I’ve started.
May 18 at 10:06am

Pete Hamill Rum Punch, thanks to Quentin. 15 years ago. Pretty much read’em all now.

Josh Riddle Pagan Babies, then The Hot Kid. Big fan sir!

Franco Manning Rum Punch was first—I discovered Elmore throigh Tarantino adapting it. From there I read Ridding tthe Rap, The Switch, Maximum Bob, Glitz…and kept reading till I had exhausted his cannon at the time, (which was mid-sophomore through late junior year at UNC Chapel Hill from 1997-1999)
May 18 at 10:07am

Joe Cavins Love Justified. Got Elmore’s name from credits. Been downloading book after book from Kindle. Set DirecTv to record anything Elmore Leonard. I’m hooked.

Mick Bell I picked up a 3-in-1 copy of Swag / Stick / Mr Majestyk -and got totally hooked by Swag. I have read everything else including the Western Stories. We need a new Stickley story !!!!!!

Dominic DeAngelo I was about 22 when I started reading Elmore, but was always familiar with him because my parents would have his books lying around the house. Numero uno was Swag.

Denne Callaway I can’t remember the first novel. What I do remember is no one comes close to Elmore Leonard when it comes to character development. He’s simply the best!
May 18 at 10:08am

Bernie Shiffler get shorty

Erika Gemba Freaky Deaky thanks to my dad. I’ve yet to read one I haven’t liked.

Alan Gregg Maximum Bob. About 20 years. Still not got to them all. Just started Djibouti. Keep ‘em coming Elmore!

Cynthia Edie Believe it or not; it was his book on writing. I never realized how many times “that” was overused!
May 18 at 10:09am

Mike Strovers I kept seeing the name Elmore Leonard on all these movies I had watched. I figured it was time to start reading. Killshot was the first I read and now I’m hooked.

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Tom Crone I don’t recall the first title. A friend recommended it. I saw ‘Valdez is Coming’ long ago. I’ve been reading Dutch longer than he’s been reading me. He could rememdy that by checking out my recent thriller, CAMOUFLAGE on Amazon.

Matteo Zampini Bandits. An Italian translotor suggested Leonard to me 15 years ago.Since then, I tried to read everything he has written so far.

Kathy Whitlock Long ago in a galaxy far, far away…First films: Hombre and Mr. Majestyk, novel: Fifty-two Pick-up. What a wonderful career he has!
May 18 at 10:10am

Gregory Bennett Rum Punch. I first saw Get Shorty then sought out the books.

Mark Retajczyk Rum Punch!

Mark B. Newbauer Unknown Man #89 - LOVED IT.
May 18 at 10:11am

Chris Miller It was either Freaky Deaky or Swag.
May 18 at 10:11am

Midge Edmond Moonshine War. Worked with him typing it while in high school. Was one of the best jobs of my life. Creative energy that I felt working with him has been hard to find in other places that I have worked. Thanks for this question. Made me think about good times! (Tell him hi!!)
May 18 at 10:12am

Volckaert Marlies I do’nt remember because as soon as i finished it i ran to the bookstore to buy every other title they had and continued that way until there was nothing more to get; and then organised myself the best possible rehab i could .... unsuccesfully ...sigh
May 18 at 10:12am

Jeremy Donovan Rohr The switch.
May 18 at 10:13am

Christine Warren Road Dogs was My first.Like with any addiction A Friend turned Me on and I have been Hooked every since.
May 18 at 10:14am

Rick Miller I read Rum Punch in anticipation of Jackie Brown.
May 18 at 10:15am

Martin Kirchner Mr. Majestyk
May 18 at 10:16am

Tom Hodge Found Elmore in the library about 5 years ago. A book title caught my eye, Get Shorty i believe. i didn’t check that book out but i did pick another Leonard book that I can’t remember the name of. Not indicative of the books quality as I have enjoyed all of your books read to date. Some of the short Westerns aren’t as captivating but nothing is perfect.
May 18 at 10:16am

Gary Young Maximum Bob. My fire chief turned me onto Mr Leonard’s work 17 years ago. Feel in love.
May 18 at 10:17am

Rick Miller I discovered him when Tarantino said that he’d written True Romance as an homage to Leonard.
May 18 at 10:17am

Constance Gagne Get Shorty! I was hooked!
May 18 at 10:19am

Zach Myers Djibouti was 1st…discovered E. Leonard through Justified and films…..amazing writer!

Judy Mitthauer-orza gold coast back in the 80s

Joe Forgione I guess the first novel I read was “52 Pickup” back in the 70’s and now I’ve read everything he has written. He is the best. And, Justified is the best show on TV.

James Stevens Hey, is it possible to get a poster print of this shot of all the book covers, I would so totally hang it in my “pop culture” art room!!!
May 18 at 10:21am

Henrique Arnholdt Bandits, in hardback.
May 18 at 10:21am

Jim Donovan since the 70’s, along with Donald E. Westlake…
May 18 at 10:22am

Gustavo Ceballos I was up in the air where I was reading this magazine and came across the mr Conley has got done reading road dogs so when I land it on my layover I picked up the and start read good book so far
May 18 at 10:24am

Paul G Graupmann Read ‘City Primeval High Noon in Detroit ’ when I was still at the PD in the 70s. Have read everything since.
May 18 at 10:25am

Simon Panneton Bandits, which I found in the lost and found bin in a London pub I was bartending at. I loved it.
May 18 at 10:25am

Jennifer Runyon Rum Punch
May 18 at 10:26am

Marty Eddy ‎“City Primeval”—I was hooked.
May 18 at 10:26am

Lori Smartt Serviss Pagan Babies. 2007. Loved every movie made from one of his books so headed for a bookstore and been reading ever since. Best author to date.
May 18 at 10:28am

Janeen Walker Elmore “Dutch” Leonard was a friend of my Dad’s (Phil Fairchild) and as a child I was told not to read his books! Like them all now, as an adult.
May 18 at 10:30am

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Paul Gagnier I read freaky deaky on a rainy day camping…dog eared paperback…then raided bookstores for all the hardcovers…can’t get enough of Leonard….always chomping at the bit for the next release…peace pal
May 18 at 10:30am

Dan Schechter Get Shorty, bc back then I would only read books that were made into films I liked. Leonard introduced me to truly loving to read.
May 18 at 10:32am

Michael Kenny Freaky Deaky, long time ago, the only one I could not get into was Djibouti, every other one I devoured
May 18 at 10:34am

Jack Voelker Glitz, about mid-1980’s. Just picked it up as a big fat paperback to read. That was how I discovered Dutch, been reading intermittently since then. I think maybe Maximum Bob might be my favorite - just ‘cause you gotta have a favorite.
May 18 at 10:34am

Patrick Finnegan Rum Punch…because of Jackie Brown. That’s all it took!
May 18 at 10:35am

Sander Geijs Rum Punch - 1996 - after hearing the rumors about Tarantino’s Jackie Brown coming out
May 18 at 10:35am

Buster Brown ‎“Maximum Bob” and I was hooked. Ten years and I love all of your books.
May 18 at 10:36am

Timothy Dugdale Swag/Ryan’s Rules.
May 18 at 10:39am

Fahrion Brian I found Glitz on a Polish vessel I was working on a few years back.It was left for dead on the very bottom of a shelf. I finished it in 2 days. Great book! Really got me into reading again
May 18 at 10:39am

Dora Kansiime Maximum Bob
May 18 at 10:40am

Jack Ulyanov My first was an old copy of ‘Ryan’s Rules’ (laterly named Swag) that I found in a second hand book store when I was 13. I went out looking for one when I found out he wrote ‘Hombre’ with Paul Newman-the greatest ever western. Been reading him continuously for 24 years now.
May 18 at 10:41am

Markku Junkkari My first Elmore Leonard was Get Shorty. Then it was Maximum Bob, and then - you know the usual story, I became dependent. I cannot give you a date but it is about 20 yrs. ago when I got started. I love his characters, which have so many more levels in them than in most of the crime stories. Elmore’s sense of humor and compassion towards even the most miserable d…. b…s is unique. I have changed homes, countries and continents but the Elmore Leonards followed me always and finally back to my native country Finland.
May 18 at 10:45am

Ryan Osentowski ‎“Pronto.” I read it because of Justified, but was pretty disappointed. EL is one of the rare exceptions in that his books don’t live up to the Hollywood version. “Raylan,”: doesn’t live up to Justified either, sorry to say.
May 18 at 10:46am

Dennis Keithly My first Elmore Leonard novel was Pronto. It was a gift from my then girlfriend, now wife, about 16 years ago. I then read Glitz and Get Shorty. Since then, I’ve read all of his novels save a couple of the westerns, which I should have somewhere on my book shelves.
May 18 at 10:48am

David Guzick my first book i read was’last stand at saber river’ back in 1984.
May 18 at 10:51am

Bob Coleman Hombre. Tracked down after seeing the movie back in the 60s.
May 18 at 10:52am

Andrew Love Went with my wife and some friends to go see Get Shorty and absolutely loved the film. I did some reading up on the movie and found out it was based on a book, so I had to get my hands on it. Been reading Elmore Leonard ever since. Reading the Complete Western Stories now and am absolutely loving it.
May 18 at 10:53am

Tony Deitzel Up in Honeys room was my first.
May 18 at 10:54am

Catherine Maloney Freaky Deaky? I think, 15ish years:)
May 18 at 10:57am

Renee’ Steward I had never really gotten into his stuff till Justified came along now I am addicted!
May 18 at 10:58am

Peter Bryant Mr. Majestyk is THE man….
May 18 at 11:00am

Steve Jungquist The first Elmore Leonard book I read was Mr. Majestyk in the mid-80’s. I found it on a bookshelf at a cabin I was staying at in northern Michigan.
May 18 at 11:04am

Mike Williams Freaky Deaky. Introduced to Elmore through Kerry Dunn, my best bud. Been hooked for 20 years.
May 18 at 11:05am

Darren McNeilly Road Dogs
May 18 at 11:06am

Bob Leishman A friend recommended him a few years ago after she’d read one of my short stories. Up in Honey’s room is my favorite, I forget which one came first.
May 18 at 11:07am

Craig Huisenga I’m pretty sure “Unknown Man…” was the first about 20 years ago. Learned about Elmore from a friend and have read them all since then.

Mark Millard Cat Chaser, I picked it up at DFW on my way to Honduras..kind of funny, have not stoped reading he book. I hope he live to be 100.

Gary Jeffries When The Women come Out To Dance… Wanted to read Justified story. All stories were awesome and have read many others since.
May 18 at 11:08am

John Featherstone Cuba Libre, when I was 17 (13 years ago now). I ploughed through it in a couple of days and loved it. I’ve been hooked ever since…
May 18 at 11:10am

Barbara Peninger I can’t remember the first, my father in law gave me one…then the westerns and I was hooked! Love the westerns!
May 18 at 11:11am

Benjamin Lamb I’ve long had Leonard on my shelf and finally got around to reading Rum Punch a few months ago. Since then I’ve been on an Elmore Leonard tear, finishing Get Shorty, Be Cool, Toshimingo Blues, Mr. Majestyk, and When the Women Come Out to Dance since the beginning of the year. Next up is Freaky Deaky, unless someone has another EL title to recommend…
May 18 at 11:12am

Brad Boucher Just before jackie Brown came out, after hearing Quentin Tarantino praising Elmore’s work in an interview, I decided to check him out and started with Rum Punch. Mr. Paradise was next and the rest is just a blur. Reading Raylan now and loving it….
May 18 at 11:13am

Mark Finkelman get shorty
May 18 at 11:13am

Gary Sparks Killshot, then everything else.
May 18 at 11:15am

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Raymond Low La Brava…about 25 years ago. Didn’t pick up another of Elmore Leonard’s novels until Justified started to air.
May 18 at 11:15am

Evan Hill My first was Rum Punch.
May 18 at 11:16am

Jason Ronayne I read Out of Sight first, while in jail. Then came Pagan Babies, Glitz, Touch, and Cuba Libre, all also in jail.
May 18 at 11:16am

Lee Gill Maximum Bob. I heard a review on NPR and bought it and was glad to find he had already written so many others, which I also bought. I think I’ve read every one of his crime books, and most of the westerns. Loved them all!
May 18 at 11:18am

Christian Feliciano The first one I read was Rum Punch. I discovered him through the film Jackie Brown when they gave it on TV once, and now I’m in love with his work. Been reading him for quite some time.
May 18 at 11:19am

Páll Thormod Morrisson Hombre first, then Valdez is Coming, Gunsights. My favourites are the westerns, which is why I took to Justified so readily. Would not mind seeing more Old West output as well.
May 18 at 11:21am

Daniel Broman First Elmore Leonard I read was Swag. A pure pleasure to read.
May 18 at 11:21am

Joe Lansberry I discovered Elmore after watching the movie Get Shorty. I then read it and Be Cool. I’ve been reading him ever since. My favorite is probably Maximum Bob or Out of Sight.
May 18 at 11:23am

Robert Boley Valdez is Coming. Sombody loaned me a box of western novels. Valdez is Coming was on of them.
May 18 at 11:25am

Jim Sinisi Sadly only just got into Leonard - started with Tishomingo Blues and fell right in love. Probably the easiest read I’ve ever experienced- to say the man’s novels flow is an understatement.
May 18 at 11:27am

Kimberly Hatfield Deighton my mom brought me up on him & Joseph Wambaugh ....1st one was Gold Coast…I think
May 18 at 11:27am

Brian Brockmiller First book was Glitz, picked up on a whim at the local Salvation Army 3 years ago, been reading everything I can get my hands on ever since. Love his prose and the fact that he’s from Detroit, that’s how we do it in the D!
May 18 at 11:28am

Peter Nicholas Trump Although I had seen “Hombre” & “Mr. Majestyk” before seeing “52 Pick-up”, that was the first movie I was aware of being based on an Elmore Leonard book. “Glitz” was the first of his books I read and then quickly acquired and read every story of his I could find. That was around 1985.
May 18 at 11:28am

Chris Desmet first novel i read was Stick - got it from the library - got hooked right off wink
May 18 at 11:29am

Steve Gibson I ordered Glitz from QPBC back in the early 90’s but I didn’t know who EL was. It sat on my shelf for years. I finally read it and was blown away. I started buying all of his books after that.
May 18 at 11:32am

Richard Heineman I started watching Justified on FX. Started doing some online research about Elmore Leonard and surprisingly found out that he wrote Get Shorty, Be Cool, and Out of Sight. Loved those movies and how he always writes in the main character as a fearless soul, be it drama or comedy. Read Road Dogs and currently reading Raylan. Never miss a episode of Justified. It is my all time favorite show.
May 18 at 11:37am

Kevin O Murphy Cat Chaser, 1982.
May 18 at 11:37am

David Bell Tishomingo Blues was the first I read, I discovered it through a review in uncut magazine
May 18 at 11:38am

Magnus Carlberg Freaky Deaky.
After reading about the plot in the back cover and got a thought of a pastish of Brian Wilson, I bought it.
Been many more after that.
May 18 at 11:41am

Tim Abney Maximum Bob
May 18 at 11:44am

Bernie Mulleda Killshot. Pulled it off library shelf…couldn’t stop after that til I read everything available. 18yrs.
May 18 at 11:45am

Eric De Hennezel Fire in the hole !
May 18 at 11:45am

Eric De Hennezel Sorry Hombre…I have just realised it is one of yours…
May 18 at 11:46am

Patrick Mininni Rum Punch, thanks to QT & jackie Brown
May 18 at 11:49am

Rodger Shomo Since about 1986, when I read “Unknown Man 89”..

Darren Larner Maximum Bob 20 years ago in a 2nd hand book shop. Just liked the cover an blurb and it blew me away.

Matt Preseau City Primeval!
May 18 at 11:50am

Jim Blanchard ‎“Cat Chaser” a tad over 30 years.
May 18 at 11:50am

David Shortt Pretty sure it was Get Shorty
May 18 at 11:51am

Robin Maxwell SWAG. In 2006. It’s still my favourite. Like that first house you see. Banged through about 25 more after that
May 18 at 11:53am

Donna McDowell Escape From Five Shadows. I am an old, longtime reader of Leonard!
May 18 at 12:02pm

Vince Lamacki I had the great pleasure of meeting Elmore at the Chicago Tribune’s Printer’s Row Lit Fest in 2009. I told him that reading Fifty-two Pick Up, over 30 years ago, was my gateway drug into crime fiction. I’ve been a fan of crime and mystery ever since. Thank you, Elmore Leonard.
May 18 at 12:02pm

Kyle Rife Maximum Bob.
May 18 at 12:05pm

Jack Mc Tishomingo Blues 2004.
May 18 at 12:06pm

Paul Durkin Saw his name as screenwriter on Joe Kidd, and saw Mr. Majestyk and several other movies based on his books. Been hooked since. Think my first read might have been LaBrava or Stick, a long time ago.
May 18 at 12:07pm

Pam Bevins I’ve read every Elmore Leonard book five times each. I don’t remember the first but I’m waiting patiently for the next.
May 18 at 12:10pm

Pam Bevins It would be nice if Elmore Leonard answered some fan questions once in a while. Just saying.
May 18 at 12:11pm

Mark Christopher Jones My very first Leonard book was 52 Pick-Up. Maybe not his best, but still excellent. That was back in the early 90’s. I think I’ve read about 10 (or more) Leonard books since then.
May 18 at 12:18pm

Dave Robinson MAXIMUM BOB—- so good !
May 18 at 12:21pm

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Glen Dub Rum punch!
May 18 at 12:25pm

Jon Howe Cuba libra
May 18 at 12:29pm

Sean Riley First Elmore Leonard was Maximum Bob. Then Get Shorty. However, my favorites have been The Hot Kid, Up In Honey’s Room, and his collection of early Western stories. Been reading him for only about 10 years, but a big, big fan.
May 18 at 12:33pm

Peter Swoboda I don’t remember which one was the first but, a friend turned me onto his works circa 1984.
May 18 at 12:34pm

Sean Riley I really love the ones set in Oklahoma because his research is so thorough. I was born in Okmulgee and grew up in Henryetta, and Elmore is so accurate…down to the geography and even restaurants that are no longer in existence.
May 18 at 12:35pm

Dustin Griffin Rum Punch. Discovered because of Jackie Brown. Been reading since ‘97. Best author ever.
May 18 at 12:44pm

Josh Thayer Mr. Paradise. I saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino in which he admitted to having stolen an Elmore Leonard novel from Walgreens as a child.
May 18 at 12:51pm

Michael Childs ‎52 pickup , be cool, and then on… Other then Elmore L. The best writer of our time.. G. McDonald mixed with Dashall Hamitt ...
May 18 at 12:55pm

Lucie Bouchard My first book was Fifty Two Pick-up, followed by Swag, followed by Unknown Man Number 89, then the Hunted, the Switch and so on. Read a bunch.
May 18 at 1:02pm

Peter Daniel Lago The Moonshine War. Oh, I’d love to see that turned into a gritty series!
May 18 at 1:02pm

Brian Smith Killshot. Discovered Elmore from Garth Ennis’ recommendations in the letters pages of the comic Preacher. Been reading since the mid nineties.
May 18 at 1:08pm

Drew Slager Rum Punch as a 12 year old. Fifteen years later I picked up Swag and have been reading the rest of his novels since.
May 18 at 1:16pm

Kevin Finnegan cant remember the first….may have been rum punch or maximum bob….about 15-20 years ago
May 18 at 1:17pm

Mark Elias Glitz, after I read the review in the NY Times. Around twenty more after that.
May 18 at 1:29pm

Todd Kincaid Pagan Babies is my favorite so far, but haven’t read a bad one yet.
May 18 at 1:33pm

Danny Petterson ‎“The Hot Kid”
May 18 at 1:39pm

Marion Marking My first Elmore: Old but not-too-shabby copy of Bandits from a used-books store. To this day, my favorite embalming tool is the trocar. BOO!
May 18 at 1:40pm

Fred Crown Stick
May 18 at 1:51pm

Joel Lyczak The first book I read was SWAG and got hooked. I’ve re-read some of the novels, PAGAN BABIES, UNKNOWN MAN #89, and, at this posting, CAT CHASER. CAT CHASER should have been a great movie, but fate intervened; the movie company went through a bankruptcy and the movie was taken away from the director.
May 18 at 1:53pm

Mary Alice Gorman Mr magestyk and so on…....
May 18 at 1:58pm

James Phillips Swag hooked me too. Someone raved to me about his dialogue, so I grabbed swag, then read la brava, and then all the rest. This was 5 years ago, I think.
May 18 at 2:03pm

Constance Mettler We met him in Detroit before we read any of his books and hung out a bit. I have several autographed copies.
May 18 at 2:14pm

Aj Garcia Saw Get Shorty at the theater in town and decided to buy the book and couldn’t stop buying his stuff ever since.
May 18 at 2:20pm

Junior Chavez First novel by EL was killshot
May 18 at 2:35pm

Kenneth Knight Rum Punch after finding out Jackie Brown was done off it.
May 18 at 2:43pm

Jim Raleigh First (and still my favorite) was Swag. Picked it off a table at the Library in 1997. Since then I’ve read all but a few of the early Westerns.
May 18 at 2:57pm

Richard Brothers La Brava or the Gold Coast!!
May 18 at 3:03pm

Dawn Hirte Ramaley Tishomingo Blues. Stephen King referenced you in one of his books. I thought if he liked you I might like you too. He was right. Tishomingo Blues just happened to be on the book rack when I was looking.
May 18 at 3:10pm

Marilyn Hines I think it was “Get Shorty.” It was an audio book, working the night shift converting mail on the computer for the post office, 1997. Love Elmore Leonard! Wish I’d have found him a lot sooner!
May 18 at 3:11pm

Gar Anthony Haywood STICK. Holy crap, what a ride. Changed everything I thought I knew about crime writing.
May 18 at 3:12pm

Dale Winters It was probably “Stick”. Believe I’ve read everything for 30 years.
May 18 at 3:16pm

Sam Stacy The Hot Kid…....and I’ve read abt every thing written by him I could get my hands on…....my 2 favorites are Freaky Deaky and Glitz…......Road Dogs wasnt bad either….hell I like them all lol Elmore Leonards a beast of an author!
May 18 at 3:19pm

Chantelle Roberts Every Author Whom Writes Books I Have Discovered In A Charity Shop Or Second Hand Book Shop. My First Read Of Mr Leonards Was Freaky Deaky Which I Loved I Have Been A Fan Ever Since. Other Books I Have Read Are Swag, La Brava, Glitz, Rum Punch, Riding The Rap In Which The Series Justified Is Based Along With Pronto On. After All This Time It Is Nice To Read A Adaptation Of Freaky Deaky In The Works.
May 18 at 3:23pm

Bob McCaffrey Killshot and is still one of my favorites…there are so many good ones..
May 18 at 3:31pm

Angela Reese The first novel I ever read was Get Shorty; I picked it up browsing in a books store and the dialogue hooked me. I’ve read every books subsequent to that one as well as going back to earlier novels; though, admittedly, I’ve only read a couple of the westerns.
May 18 at 3:36pm

Michael Sewell First one was “The Big Bounce”, left behind by a former tenant in my college apartment in Kalamzoo, Michigan, in 1969.
May 18 at 3:58pm

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Monica Adams-Stout Still reading Raylan
May 18 at 3:59pm

John M Amatangelo Get Shorty: picked up a copy after I saw the movie (and loved it). I’ve been hooked on Dutch ever since!
May 18 at 4:18pm

Robin James ‎52 Pick Up from a second hand book store in Nerja, Spain whilst on holiday. Have been filling up my back catalogue since then and thoroughly enjoying the ride.
May 18 at 4:25pm

Marcus Shelton Mr Majestik!!! Wasn’t there a movie in the 70’s w/ Harvey Keitel made from it??
May 18 at 4:30pm

Jim Markoulis Killshot…been a lovefest ever since!
May 18 at 4:43pm

John DuMond KILLSHOT. Read it in 2002. I had seen the movies JACKIE BROWN and GET SHORTY and decided I should check out some of Elmore Leonard’s books to see if I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed movies based on his book.
May 18 at 4:57pm

Ronald Ward Glitz. Found a paperback in an airport. Many years. Have read all of his novels: westerns, crime fiction, 10 Rules of Writing, .... smile
May 18 at 5:16pm

Rick Barlow Freaky Deaky. Decades. Read a review.
May 18 at 5:24pm

Stephen Furda rum punch. ashamed to say i discovered him through jackie brown but i’ve been a devoted follower since 8th grade
May 18 at 5:37pm

Lee Welter Pronto. Had to see how Raylan got started. Got hooked and went on to Riding the Rap, Fire in the Hole and Raylan. Looking forward to his many other books
May 18 at 5:54pm

Rich Zaleski ‎52 Pickup. Was traveling, and bought it in the airport for something to read on the plane. Bought another on every trip I took for a few years. Finally realized I didn’t have to be on an airplane or in an airport or hotel room to read him.
May 18 at 6:04pm

Bill LePine Either SWAG or 52 Pick-Up cannot recall but I’ve read every one since meeting Mr. Leonard (Dutch then) at Diamond Jim Brady’s saloon in Detroit in 1974.
May 18 at 6:12pm

Sandra Steeves You rock Mr. Leonard!!!
May 18 at 6:35pm

Maria Orr Killshot was the first I read. awesome book. then Justified came and I’m hooked. I read Raylan and it was another awesome read
May 18 at 6:54pm

Andrew Cole It was either The Hunted or Maximum Bob, not sure which.
May 18 at 7:20pm

Mary Batalla Killshot. My daughter suggested the book and I started reading everything else he wrote.
May 18 at 7:25pm

Paul Sweeney ‎“The Moonshine Wars” in 1986 while stil in my 30s. Had read a front page NYT Book Review a couple of years earlier that sang his praises. Have only read a half-dozen of his books but that leaves lots of headroom…By the way, if anyone is reading this & knows which book of Mr. Leonard’s has a character saying, “That neighborhood has gotten real artsy-fartsy. They even have a funeral home called ‘Death and Things…” Please tell me via FB, thanks…
May 18 at 7:50pm

Agustin Lara Rum Punch because of Jackie Brown. I wanted to buy the script but only I found the novel. It was a wonderful wrong.
May 18 at 7:57pm

Mike Lundquist Freaky Deaky. The irreverent characters, sort of an air of fun, it just grabbed me. My favorite author. “Justified” is like having someone serve you your favorite meal, and you didn’t have to lift a finger.
May 18 at 8:25pm

John McGeever I read a review of “Stick” in a newsmagazine and found “Split Images” in a local bookstore. I’ve never looked back. I’ve read everything but “Touch” and the Western Stories but I’ve got them both and will get to them.
May 18 at 9:06pm

Graham MacDougall Freaky Deaky, 1994
May 18 at 9:38pm

Szilágyi Gábor I think Swag, then Glitz, then Pronto ...as I remember the first or all three of them in Hungarian at the beginning, then I began to buy them in English - second hand naturally, as in Hungary I could not have get them otherwise. I still hunt my fav bookstore whenever I reach it for Leonards, though now have a lot of them and used some to re-read. Up in Honey’s Room is an absolute top for me, though I regard all the others to be masterpieces as well. (I’m all for literature, have read tens of thousands, really, so this opinion is backed solidly.)
May 18 at 10:12pm

Aub Smith Tarantino cited Elmore as a major influence in an interview I read around the time “Reservoir Dogs” was released. I picked up a copy of “Stick”, and have been reading his books ever since.
May 18 at 10:27pm

Jofrin Pezzati When the Women Come Out to Dance (Hombre was first “novel”); about ten years; mentioned in a Tarantino biography I read prior to Jackie Brown’s production
May 18 at 11:03pm

Gene Renaker City Primeval in 1980. I read it after listening to Mr. Leonard as a guest instructor in my writing class at the University of Michigan. (I had no idea who he was at the time.)
May 18 at 11:27pm

Robert Verhoeff Mij vader had de boeken van Elmore in de kast staan in de tijd dat ze nog vertaald werden in het nederlands…..
May 18 at 11:30pm

Paul Balze The first one? Probably “Get Shorty,” because of the movie, which sort of answers the other two questions.
May 18 at 11:39pm

Virginia Browning Stick, Rum Punch, or Get Shorty probably…
Saturday at 12:18am

Robert Czub If I remember it was “Mr. Majestyk” after that whenever I got ahold of one of his books I’d read it, including Westerns"3:10 to Yuma”. And “Justified” rocks! Love that show from day 1 ! Classic Elmore Leonard story telling!
Saturday at 12:21am

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-10

Kevin Doughty Freaky Deaky!
Saturday at 2:10am

Kevin Doughty It’s going to be a movie!? Yes!
Saturday at 2:10am

Kris Hyland Kolb Don’t remember which I read first, but he’s been one of my top five authors for probably 15 years.
Saturday at 2:42am

Sam Eltzroth Ccmp vgggv
Saturday at 3:34am

David Hadley ‎52 Pick Up.. Subsequently I have read every one of his books.. He is unique and I buy every book as soon as I can.. David Hadley, U.K
Saturday at 4:22am

Jessica Weissfuss I tend to amble through libraries and choose books with titles that catch my eye. I happened to be wandering through a library on Osan AB when I saw Pagan Babies. Quite and eye catcher that was and I have never been more addicted to an author. It’s only been around 4 years now but I have many more books to read. Looking forward to it.
Saturday at 5:16am Kevin Carroll Tishomingo Blues
Saturday at 5:26am

Jennifer Hinkle Maximum Bob. Was hooked. Don’t remember how I came across it.
Saturday at 5:47am

April Saxton Maximum Bob-loved it was hooked! My mom suggested you to me about three years ago.
Saturday at 10:08am

Patty Deeds Raylan because I love the Justified series on tv.
Saturday at 1:24pm

Sebastian Weber Freaky Deaky somewhen around 1998. I liked Jackie Brown a lot, and when I found out that Tarantino had not bothered to rewrite the dialogue but took lengths of it as it was from Rum Punch, I decided to have a go on one of them books. After Freaky Deaky I went on to Cat Chaser, Maximum Bob, Get Shorty, Be Cool, Stick and others, am working on the Complete Western Stories now ... but I haven’t had Rum Punch yet - maybe I’m afraid it will spoil my favorite Tarantino Movie, because it would be so much better ... wink
Saturday at 1:46pm

Helena Viehweg ‎“Out of Sight” was my first Elmore read. my Uncle Bob turned me towards reading him. that was about twelve years ago. i’ve read so many Elmore books and am reading one now. i love them all, but “Touch” tends to always be my favorite.
Saturday at 6:14pm

Mychael Montgomery First was Cuba Libre, b/c Jackie Brown was based on it.
Saturday at 6:59pm

Mychael Montgomery NO, Rum Punch was based on it, DUH!
Saturday at 6:59pm

Robert Fekete Think it was Glitz…. my Dad had it, been reading Elmore for over 20 years and still enjoy his books as much as ever.
Saturday at 8:17pm

Bobby Depew ‎“Freaky Deaky”. Followed almost immediately by “Stick”. I was hooked, still am.
Saturday at 9:53pm

Michael Burke I was working in a bookstore around 84 and picked up “Stick” for no reason I can remember. I loved the writing and have read dozens of his books since. I even survived Burt Reynolds ....
Saturday at 11:15pm

Pete Buehler Think it was Under Cover of Daylight? Loved it!
Saturday at 11:32pm

Harvard Q Keck ‎—-First, I got the audiobook (actually book on tape) of Killshot. I forget who the actor was reading it.
Sunday at 12:34am

Antonio Diaz Rum Punch. I found it in the Moses Lake library while waiting for my truck being fixed across town. This has be 1997. First it was the cover and then I skimmed it. I thought yeah I go with it. And since then I was hooked.
Sunday at 11:10am

Rick Wolf Be Cool !
Sunday at 2:44pm

Brandon Burnette Pronto. I first discovered Elmore after becoming a fan of ‘Justified’. I then realized I had seen many of the movies that were made from his novels and screenplays. Since then I have read 30 of his novels including the complete western short stories. Mr. Leonard has quickly become my favorite author. I plan to read the complete bibliography. I look forward to future work.
Sunday at 8:07pm

Paul Yamoto I picked up my first Elmore Leonard years ago started with his westerns Hombre,3.10 to Yuma and Valdez is coming all made into classic Holywood films.Later read Get Shorty and Be Cool filmed by John Travolta again superb,easy to read and entertaining!
Yesterday at 8:32am

Posted: 31 May 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

These will be fun to read. Thanks Gregg.
Somewhere here is a similar discussion for those interested.

It was the movies that introduced me. John Travolta promoting Get Shorty on Johnny Carson mentioned the great Elmore Leonard and I had to pick up a copy. Went next probably to Swag, Stick and Cuba Libre. Then it’s a blur.

Posted: 03 June 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

GLITZ - 1985.  A friend of mine’s Dad had it.  Too adult for a 16 year-old.  Spooked me more than Stephen King at the time.

BE COOL - 2001.  Loved the movie adaptations, so I picked up an Elmore Leonard book during a deployment.  Read them all within a year after that.

If you read every Elmore Leonard book, you get pretty good at the Touchstones.

Posted: 06 June 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

wow

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

started reading these