Hunted/Unknown Man order?
Posted: 25 April 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-03-07

Hi Gregg,

Quick question about the publication order of the two EL books published in 1977. This website’s works list and the Harper “Books by” page agree that UNKNOWN MAN NUMBER 89 was published before THE HUNTED. I certainly consider this website definitive, but I’m confused because two different EL biographies state that THE HUNTED came first. Do you know why that is, if indeed it’s a mistake in the biographies? Was THE HUNTED written first of the two?

Also, am I correct that of the 1980 books, GOLD COAST was written earlier but CITY PRIMEVAL was published earlier?

Thanks

Posted: 28 April 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10
olshep2001 - 25 April 2012 09:36 AM

This website’s works list and the Harper “Books by” page agree that UNKNOWN MAN NUMBER 89 was published before THE HUNTED. I certainly consider this website definitive, but I’m confused because two different EL biographies state that THE HUNTED came first.

Was THE HUNTED written first of the two?

It’s possible because Elmore had gone to Israel a few years before.  An answer would require some digging.  Did you read Gerehin?

olshep2001 - 25 April 2012 09:36 AM

Also, am I correct that of the 1980 books, GOLD COAST was written earlier but CITY PRIMEVAL was published earlier?

Yes, Gold Coast came out with little or no promotion in the Fall of 1980 after CP.  It was written as a two book deal with Juvenal Touch (later Touch) which Bantam was afraid to release because of the topic.

Posted: 28 April 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-08

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I must admit I didn’t actually read a biography, but I used google books search functions to find the pages in the Geherin and Challen biographies that mentioned THE HUNTED, and both referred to THE HUNTED as the “first” of EL’s 1977 books.

Regarding GOLD COAST, I’m curious (if you know without having to do any digging), were it and TOUCH written before GUNSIGHTS and/or THE SWITCH? 1976-1979 or so clearly seems to have been a remarkably prolific period for Elmore Leonard.