< 1 2
2 of 2
Up in Honey’s Room
Posted: 07 April 2008 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2006-11-12

Well, the difference is really between a lie and a fiction. It’s a little late in the game to discuss the legitimacy of fiction, or to bring up issues of verisimilitude. Unless anybody wants to go back to Lit 101 and be pretentious teenagers - ugh, I had enough of that crap the first time around.

Posted: 10 May 2008 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

The airports in Los Angeles, The Twin Cities, and Columbus, Ohio all had UP IN HONEY’S ROOM listed at number 12 for paperbacks.

I was at the local Barnes and Nobles in Pasadena and saw the new Premium Paperback Editions of THE HOT KID and HONEY.  Premium means a taller paperback with larger print.  They are nice.

Posted: 10 May 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2006-09-20

i’m looking
forward to
reading it
again

Posted: 05 May 2009 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2008-11-20

I just read Up in Honey’s Room. Fantastic.

Damn, Honey Deal made me feel like I needed to take a cold shower after reading this. She’s a scandalous dame, and one of my favorite EL female characters. I admire Carl’s restraint.

Posted: 21 July 2010 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I just finished this novel i thought it was fantastic.  Easily better than 52 Pick Up,Stick comparing to the books i have read.

I think the thread make dismissing a EL book just because its not about street guys,rounders is disrespecting a masterful writer.  You cant expect him to write the same book all the time…

Posted: 23 July 2010 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-08-03

This was the first EL book to be released since a number of us joined up here and therefore received a lot of extra scrutiny, criticisms, ect. Gregg even sent out a few AREs and challenged us to write reviews. You can tell we aren’t all that great at writing reviews, but there were a few fine efforts.

The uniqueness of the story (you mention) may also have contributed to the luke-warmish reception. Now over three years later I find it difficult to place this one on any kind of likability scale compared to other EL books. If fits right in with all the rest.

Posted: 24 July 2010 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-03-30

I think its also about when you have read the different books.  I read Pick Up 52,Stick first then Hot Kid,Swag,this book.  The early 70s one is dated compared to the last Hot Kid books.  I dont think the difference between books when all EL is as new to me.  Swag is the best novel for me so far.  Stick,Ryan plus great dialouge,low life story.

< 1 2
2 of 2

‹‹ New Novel Title (Poll)      John Russell ››