Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2005-10-08

Publishers Weekly
Words from the Wise
ELMORE LEONARD
(April 5, 1991)

Some of our summer authors talk about the inspirations, challenges and (they hope) pleasures of their new books.

Maximum Bob

What appealed to me most about Maximum Bob was the idea of writing about a judge. A couple of years ago in Palm Beach Country I got to meet one who was full of stories, and I thought that this was too good to pass up. But my judge had to be a particular kind, and I came up with the idea of a hanging judge called Maximum Bob. He’s a racist, a bigot, a woman chaser, but he can be funny and fun to watch. And somebody is trying to kill him.

After coming up with the judge, I had to develop a character with a different point of view. I decided upon a probation officer, Kathy Baker. Seventy-five percent of the probation officers in Palm Beach Country are female and young. They’re like little schoolgirls associating with a lot of bad guys. It’s hard work. It’s hectic. And there’s some danger, prowling around tough neighborhoods at night to see if the guys are complying with their paroles.

My whole idea is telling the story in dialogue. When I started 40 years ago, I was reading these ponderous novels and wondering how I could ever write all those words. Then I made a discovery about Hemingway. There was all this white space between the lines that wasn’t being said.

My first books were westerns, and I outlined them all in advance, sometimes on 3” X 5” index cards that I taped to the wall, plotting scene by scene. It was a very mechanical process. Now, I would rather make the plot up as it goes along. Ending are easy. The middle is what’s hard.

This is my 29th book. Five or six have been set in Florida. My next one will be too. Its central character is a bail bondsman. I’va already done process servers. I like to do characters whose images aren’t that presentable.

Posted: 27 June 2008 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

South Florida:  See It Like A Reader
by ...and ELMORE LEONARD
Miami Herald. Miami, Fla.: Oct 25, 1998. pg. 00004

NOT NON-FICTION, BUT KINDA COOL!

Elmore Leonard

in LaBrava

There was a discussion when LaBrava went around the block from Ocean Drive to Collins and headed south to Fifth Street to get on the MacArthur Causeway. Maurice said, we’re going north, what do you want to go south for? Why didn’t you go up to Forty-first Street, take the Julia Tuttle? LaBrava said, because there’s a traffic up there on the beach, it’s still the season. Maurice said, eleven o’clock at night? You talk about traffic, it’s nothing what it used to be like. You could’ve gone up, taken the Seventy-ninth Street Causeway. LaBrava said, you want to drive or you want me to?

They didn’t get too far on I-95 before they came to all four lanes backed up, approaching the 112 interchange, brake lights popping on and off as far ahead as they could see. Crawling along in low gear, stopping, starting, the Mercedes stalled twice.

LaBrava said, ``All the money you got, why don’t you buy a new car?’‘

Maurice said, ``You know what you’re talking about? This car’s a classic, collector’s model.’‘

``Then you ought to get a tune.’‘

Maurice said, ``What do you mean, all the money I got?’‘

``You told me you were a millionaire one time.’‘

``Used to be,’’ Maurice said. ``I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted.’‘

Posted: 21 July 2008 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

I think we have found almost every non-fiction piece that Elmore Leonard has written.  It only took a year!

I deleted my old posts and sprinkled the Non-Fiction Thread with various small articles.  Some are quite fun.

Interviews might be the next big project.  I elect someone else to do it!  There are dozens on the site and throughout the web!  They just need to be organized.

Posted: 13 March 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

Life Lessons: Mystery Solved
By Elmore Leonard
AARP Magazine July/August 2009

Crime-novel fans, take note: a bestselling author tells how he gets ideas.

Note: All articles from the magazine do not necessarily appear online. Look for hyperlinks below to identify and access articles that are available online. Check back often for new content.

Posted: 18 March 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-01-10

Late May.

Posted: 15 December 2009 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-12-15

Thanks for the list. I was looking for one because i’d love to collect his works.

Regards,
Thunder
Credit rapide

Posted: 18 March 2010 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

Coming Soon!!!!!!!

NEW ELMORE LEONARD NON-FICTION - NEW ELMORE LEONARD NON-FICTION - NEW ELMORE LEONARD NON-FICTION - NEW ELMORE LEONARD NON-FICTION

TV Guide 2010
Cameo by Elmore Leonard
“I Owe It All To Raylan”

Posted: 10 November 2011 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-08

Detroit: 138 Square Miles (2011)—Foreword by Elmore Leonard

What a year!  2011 - 2012 gives us a short story (“Chick Killer”), a novel (RAYLAN), a third season of “Justified”, a movie (FREAKY DEAKY), and a non-fiction piece (see above).

Check out some of the non-fiction pieces.  Here are five of the classics:

Impressions of Murder (1978)

Quitting (1986) 

The Grey Area: Truth as Entertainment “McHeard Is The Word”  (2000)

Hail Mary [Spirituality: With or Without Prayer]  (2000)

Thank God for Robert Johnson (2003)

< 1 2
2 of 2